Multibridge Studio vs Kona 2?

Posted by Ben King 
Multibridge Studio vs Kona 2?
December 19, 2005 12:42PM
Hi everyone

Which of you lovely LAFCPUGM's has used the New *Blackmagic Multibridge Studio?

I was thinking about getting it with the PCI-E Bridge for my old Dual 2GHz G5 PCI-X

My other option is the Kona 2 which as far as I can see would be better if I need realtime up-convert to HD but then I'd be missing all the extra inputs/outputs and I could not use the Kona 2 in a PCI-E Mac when I upgrade.

The main thing though - Is there any performance to be gained from one over the other?

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Multibridge Studio vs Kona 2?
December 19, 2005 01:03PM
I don't really know if the Multibridge Studio is shipping or not. The Kona 2 obviously is. The Multibridge is natively a PCI Express unit but there is a PCI-X card that converts it for use with PCI-X capable G5's. Direct connection to a PCIe are way faster than native PCI-X as even a 4 lane slot can get up to 1 GB per second data transfer stream.

The Decklink Multibridge is a pretty fabulous external converter as well as a capture device that can capture analog or SDI digital Standard Def and 4:4:4 uncompressed High Def formats. That piece can also up and down convert to most any standards you need. Also the Multibridge Extreme and the Studio differences are primarily audio channels. It can also be used as an unconnected conversions box.

The real question is " what do you need to do" with you video? If you need one major type of video and conversion then the AJA Kona 2 or the BlackMagic Decklink Pro HD card can fill the bill. If SD is in the mix then ther is no other solution I know of that can handle all those formats and up-down-cross convert formats.

Keep in mind that the Studio is either just now shipping or not yet, and vaporwares are unproven performance.
December 19, 2005 01:15PM
lol - yes I was hoping someone had got their's already and would be able to write that GET ONE OF THESE! Review...

I guess the price of the BMMB Studio in the UK is so similar to the cost of the Kona 2 and Breakout box that it makes it a more attractive option.

Plus if I upgrade 'Old faithful' next year I can use it natively on PCIe.

As far as formats are concerned - I seem to get jobs in every type of format that has been available for the last 10 years!

I think I will be going the BMMB Studio route - hopefully someone who has one will post a full thumbs up and I will feel better about parting with £2500...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 19, 2005 03:22PM
It's shipping. Mike at hdforindies.com has one. Sounds nice too.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Anonymous User
December 20, 2005 03:02AM
I think it is shipping. At least they are shipping it to me. As of today I heard.

December 20, 2005 08:11AM
Cheers guys

- Michael - could you let me know just how damn cool it is when you hook the Blackmagic Beast up and supply it with electrical juices?

Ben

December 20, 2005 07:40PM
Mike:

Would be great to hear the low down on this hot product, seems to be the hot tip for the newer G5s.

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics