timeline acting strange

Posted by s.auerbach 
timeline acting strange
December 22, 2005 01:13AM

Hi,

My timeline is acting strange. It shows the clips as being 'media offline' but they are not offline, in fact they are playing just fine. I trashed the preferences hoping this might clear the discrepancy up, but it didn't.
I am able to work, but wondering about this issue, and is it the precursor to some kind of 'bug?'

Thanks

SA
Re: timeline acting strange
December 22, 2005 01:52AM
Sounds like it could be a corrupt sequence. Try copying the media to a new sequence and see if that helps.
December 22, 2005 02:54AM
Also try taking the clips actually offline (SHIFT-D) and then reconnecting them.

If that and Frank's suggestion don't help, copy the clips to a new sequence *in a new project file* and try again.

Be careful of this, though -- sometimes clips that are truly offline will play because the timeline remembers some render files. Double-check to make sure none of your media is missing.
December 22, 2005 12:50PM
If the thumbnails on the Timeline clips have been replaced with "offline" thumbnails, it could be that old bug in the Thumbnail cache. You can try trashing the Final Cut Pro Thumbnail cache to regenerate proper thumbnails.
December 22, 2005 12:51PM

Hi

I tried to start a new sequence, didn't work
I tried to create a new project, didn't work

So, here I am, it's kinda crazy, but all the clips are 'playing' ALTHOUGH the timeline indicates that the clip media is 'offline.'

Any more ideas on what this means would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

SA
December 22, 2005 12:54PM

Hi lisa

i found the thumbnail cache, i placed it in the trash, do i now need to restart?do i need to empty the trash before i open the project again
thanks

SA

hello again Lisa

you were right! it worked, and i didn't have to restart or empty the trash, timeline looks fine now, thanks so much...

SA
Re: timeline acting strange SOLUTION!
December 22, 2005 01:45PM
Nice tip, Lisa -- I don't think I've seen that suggested here before. Probably because I don't use thumbnails. Great troubleshooting option to know.
Re: timeline acting strange SOLUTION!
December 24, 2005 02:29PM
That's an oldie but a goodie.
Losing thumbnails usually happens when you move your clips from one drive to another w/o using the media manager.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics