Erro message - out of memory

Posted by Max Hoffmann 
Erro message - out of memory
January 02, 2006 12:59PM
Hi,
I tried to open a nested audio file and fcp 5 said no because "out of memory".
so my g5 dual ghz has 8gb of ram. 100% memory to fcp. the media and project files are on a g-raid 800gb via 800 firewire....help.
i repaired the permissions...and the widgets creating a lot of permission problems. i fixed everything with safe boot, disk warrior. nothing is turned on, no internet, bluetooth....
but, i just bought a m-audio firewire 1814. i have a gard time to play audio back via this device...
any ideas, thanks alot

max

Max Hoffmann
Greg Kozikowski
Re: Erro message - out of memory
January 02, 2006 02:49PM

<<<"out of memory".>>>

Out of Memory almost never means out of memory. OSX sees hard drive space as part of the memory.

So it's really complaining about drive problems (usually).

If this is a relative recent problem, start looking around your drives--all of them--and look for one filling up. None of the drives on a video system, including the system drive, should be over 90% full.

Koz
January 02, 2006 03:15PM
thanks
they're all pretty free.

Max Hoffmann
Greg Kozikowski
January 02, 2006 08:43PM
<<<g5 dual ghz has >>>

How many GHz?

<<< 100% memory to fcp.>>>

How did you determine that? Did you force it to be that way? That might be part of the problem. If OSX needs to do drive housekeeping outside of FCP and it can't, you will get errors like that. You may be running Final Cut, but the machine has to manage a lot of other things at the same time.

<<<g-raid 800gb via 800 firewire>>>

Anything else connected to the 400 port at the same time? All the FireWire connections to a Mac run on the same chip set and have to share resources. the only way to prevent this is to get an 800 FireWire card and plug the G-Raid in separate from the Mac's built in connections. Disconnect everything else from the Mac and try again.

Do you ever get the Spinning Beach Ball Of Death?

You shouldn't have problems with 8G of RAM, but are you trying to open a 2-hour show with two video and a billion audio tracks?

That happened to someone (with less memory) further down the forum. They seemed to have a very large machine until you did the arithmetic of how many resources were being called.

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics