subclips? Never again!

Posted by camshaft 
subclips? Never again!
January 05, 2006 05:15PM
Divided up 2 hours worth of surfing video, into manageable clips of different rides and quick descriptions......and making the subclips was when things started....after a couple of "make subclip", they didn't show up in the browser until I quit FCP and restarted.....playing them in the viewer was when problems really developed .......the only video seen in the viewer is wherever the playhead is parked.....and when edited onto timeline, the green screen in the canvas popped up....I knew things were corrupted, but, both the viewer and canvas would play fine in the NTSC monitor, so I continued on. I have trashed prefs twice, but, the minute I start playing with the subclips, it all goes south. I hope someone has informed Apple of this cute little quirk. From now on, will import in 10 minute chunks, like some of you are doing.

Cam

Cameron Young
Re: subclips? Never again!
January 05, 2006 06:42PM
Why do you think it's the subclips? Sounds like a bunch of different problems, not necessarily related, but may be problems with your computer.

The not appearing in browser sketch is a redraw problem in the browser. You didn't say what version you're using, or what computer you're using for that matter. I last saw it a couple in 5.0.1 or 2, not sure if it's been fixed.

Video not showing up in the viewer can have different causes, fit to window, drive problems.

Green screen in the canvas can be alpha set over black. Other weird things can cause it.

I say all this because I have been using subclips for years and have never seen what you're describing, never seen them caused by subclips specifically. I'm assuming this is not really a two hour chunk of video, because that might be a problem. It means it was recorded on extended play, which is notoriously unreliable and delivers all sorts of video/aduio and TC errors.

Starting with full system and drive specs might be a useful. I assume the OS was installed correctly and that you've tried trashing prefs with a reboot. You might try a full reinstall.

All the best,

Tom
January 06, 2006 02:56PM
Hey, Tom,

My equipment: dual, 2ghz, 1 gb ram Mac, firewire 800 raid HD with lots of room, using FCP v5.04, Datavideo DAC-10 converter, Dell 24" monitor, JVC 15" NTSC monitor.

viewer and canvas on "Fit to Window", canvas on RGB, video recorded from DVX100 on progressive.

When using the 20 - 30 minute clips, all is good. It's when I go to the almost 100 subclips that the gremlins appear. It's still workable, but, when I'm done with this video, I'll stick to clip chunks. I know others on this forum have had problems with subclips. You appear to be one of the lucky ones.

Cam
January 06, 2006 03:55PM
I have about 400 subclips in the current project off 17 tapes, all captured as single long pieces, usually about 45 or 50 minutes captures with marked In and Out points at the start and end of the tape.

All the best,

Tom
January 08, 2006 08:04PM
well, go figure.....I powered up yesterday to edit, and the sub-clips played fine in the viewer, no green in the canvas......I have noooo idea, maybe an electrical fart in the system kicked everything in place.

Cam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics