Audio drop out of clip but after capture

Posted by apalm 
Audio drop out of clip but after capture
January 06, 2006 03:27PM
Hi All,

I have read several forum messages on Audio dropping out but none of them covered this specific problem.

I successfully captured 20 mini DV master tapes from my DVX100A camera through firewire connected to CPU directly. now I am reviewing the clips and using markers to divide them into subclips. I captured between 10 and 15 minutes at a time with CAPTURE NOW. so far two of my clips are missing 30 seconds of audio. each of the original clips are approximately 10 minutes. The last minute on one clip has no audio. The second clip dropped audio 5 minutes in and then audio comes back. I checked the media files on the scratch disk and the audio is in tack. I even imported the audio file from the scratch disk into the project to merge with the clip and audio still drops out in the same place, and now I have an echo on the merged clip where audio was fine.

any ideas?

I brought the audio clip to the viewer and marked in and out and tried to insert edit and overwrite edit but it does happen. Is it possible to edit the audio clip into the timeline then sync it?

recently upgraded to FCP Studio Version 5.04
scratch disk is separate from Mac HD. It contains only media files.

FCP Studio 5.0.4
OS X 10.4.2
Dual 2 GHz G5
Mem 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB HD (Boot Disk)
400 GB internal HD Media Only
Panasonic DVX100A Mini DV
24P Advance, Audio 32Khz
Re: Audio drop out of clip but after capture
January 06, 2006 04:41PM
32kHz? Was the footage recorded at that sample rate? Did you set the capture sample rate to match? What are your Sequence Settings?

> I brought the audio clip to the viewer and marked in and out and tried to
> insert edit and overwrite edit but it does happen

Huh?
You'll have to explain it a little better.
January 06, 2006 06:23PM
Footage was recorded at 32kHz but I am capturing audio at 48kHz. I am using a easy setup preset
Capturegrinning smileyV NTSC 48kHz Advance (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal
Sequencegrinning smileyV NTSC 48kHz - 23.98
Device Control:FireWire NTSC

After merging the clip did not work I tried another method. First I imported the audio file into the project so that a separate audio clip appears in the browser. then I opened the audio clip in the viewer. marked in and marked out. But I cannot figure how to edit it into the timeline. I try clicking on it with mouse and dragging to the canvas but that does not work. I press the keyboard shortcuts I have mapped for insert edit and overwrite edit and nothing happens.

FCP Studio 5.0.4
OS X 10.4.2
Dual 2 GHz G5
Mem 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB HD (Boot Disk)
24P Advance, Audio 32Khz
Anonymous User
January 07, 2006 11:29AM
Apalm--

I think you need to capture at 32 K and convert to 48. The mismatched sample rate upon capture is probably what's making it wig out on you.

It's fairly simple.

Capture at 32 K, put into a 32 K timeline, and export out, changing the sample rate to 48 K. You can just do the audio and re-link it or merge it to the video track so you don't recompress your video, too.

Hope this helps!

January 07, 2006 04:05PM
Also note: He's not using a dedicated media drive and capturing to his boot drive.

No Bueno!

Avoid Capture Now. Use Log and Batch Capture for best results.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 07, 2006 06:45PM
>>I try clicking on it with mouse and dragging to the canvas but that does not work.<<

To the right of the 'level' and 'pan' controls in your viewer, you should see an icon of a hand holding a speaker. Try clicking on this and dragging to your timeline.
January 08, 2006 06:50AM
Jude - "To the right of the 'level' and 'pan' controls in your viewer, you should see an icon of a hand holding a speaker. Try clicking on this and dragging to your timeline."

This does work. Thank you!

Kevin - "He's not using a dedicated media drive and capturing to his boot drive."

NOT TRUE. The scratchdisk is a separate dedicated internal 400GB hard drive for media only.

"Avoid Capture Now. Use Log and Batch Capture for best results."

Will take this advise for the next go round. Thank you!

Deb - "Capture at 32 K, put into a 32 K timeline, and export out, changing the sample rate to 48 K. You can just do the audio and re-link it or merge it to the video track so you don't recompress your video, too."

I used the Easy Setup Preset for my settings and as a new user I don't want to modify or customize settings that are proven to work. I am particularly cautious because I am working with 24pAdvanced. I am getting the impression that this mode of DV recording is not that popular and that it may have it's own host of problems in addition to the fact that my DP recorded at 32kHz instead of 48kHz for some insane reason I don't know. Do you have experience or know someone with experience working with 24pAdvanced footage from a DVX100A. I have read "24p in Final Cut Pro HD and the DVX 100" By Graeme Nattress April 18, 2005 which is posted on Kenstone's website. and I am also familiar with the article Larry Jordan wrote, though can't seem to find the link right now. I had problems with CAPTURE NOW functioning inconsistantly. one capture would have Advance Pulldown Removal the very next capture would not, without changing my settings. some of my footage came in at 29.97 even though I made sure Advance Pulldown Removal was indicated during capture. And a host of other little glitches. I will continue to search other forums for FCP users who may have encountered these issues as well.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try everything I can to have the best results and smoother workflow.

Sincerely,
AP

FCP Studio 5.0.4
OS X 10.4.2
Dual 2 GHz G5
Mem 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
160GB HD (Boot Disk)
24P Advance, Audio 32Khz
January 08, 2006 10:31AM
> I used the Easy Setup Preset for my settings and as a new user I don't want
> to modify or customize settings that are proven to work.

That would normally be true, except that your footage wasn't shot in the normal way. Don't be "stuck" on work methods if they're not working for you. I never trust Easy Setup 100 per cent -- if you're starting out, especially, do use Easy Setup, but make this a habit: Every single session you do, go into every setting (System Settings, Audio/Video Settings, User Preferences) and look at every tab under each setting. You may not understand what all those features are, but looking at them repeatedly will gradually condition your eyes to see when some stray setting is off. Sooner or later, you will start to want to change those default settings to fit your own needs, and that's when you'll be a better user. Easy Setup is great for speed but not for accuracy, and it has the unfortunate disadvantage of making a user lazy and unaware of his own settings.

> I am particularly cautious because I am working with 24pAdvanced. I am
> getting the impression that this mode of DV recording is not that popular

According to what I learned from Graeme Nattress, it *is* more intended for transferring to film -- it doesn't look good when kept at 29.97fps.

> and that it may have it's own host of problems in addition to the fact that
> my DP recorded at 32kHz instead of 48kHz for some insane reason I don't
> know.

He probably never checked it -- assumed it was set correctly. That's why it needs to be any video professional's habit to check settings. Did you have a sound department?

> Do you have experience or know someone with experience working with
> 24pAdvanced footage from a DVX100A. I have read "24p in Final Cut Pro HD
> and the DVX 100" By Graeme Nattress April 18, 2005

This one, perhaps?

[www.larryjordan.biz]

> I had problems with CAPTURE NOW functioning inconsistantly. one capture
> would have Advance Pulldown Removal the very next capture would not

You're using FireWire, right? Our guru Chi-Ho Lee instructed me that you can't do advanced pulldown removal on the fly with FireWire -- you need a capture card -- and my own experience supports this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics