Quick Help For A Dummie

Posted by Brent P 
Quick Help For A Dummie
January 15, 2006 04:08PM
I am sure this is in my manual, but I am doing a project for a presentation tonight and I cannot figure this one out.

My Problem: How can I unsync an audio clip from the video? I need to trim back the audio but keep the full length of the video.

Does this make sense?

I know it is somewhere in the manual but i am not sure what the terminology is.

Thank You
Re: Quick Help For A Dummie
January 15, 2006 04:17PM
shift+L toggles linking, which is when the audio and video of a particular clip are married. in other words, what you do to audio (in terms of trimming or repostioning) is done to video. once you disconnect the clips from each other, you can trim one and not the other.

hope this helps

ron
January 15, 2006 04:30PM
I believe it's "Command + L" to either link or unlink a selected clip, although I may be wrong...
January 15, 2006 04:32PM
That is exactly what I need!

Thanks for your help!
January 15, 2006 04:39PM
It's COMMAND/L...not SHIFT/L

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 15, 2006 04:55PM
i don't mean to quibble, but i just checked and it is shift+L. unless you guys changed your keyboard layout.
January 15, 2006 06:01PM
Shift L turns off/on linking for the entire TL

Command L turns off/on linking for a selected clip

Hope I have this right. (g)

--ken
January 15, 2006 08:32PM
Even better is to hold the option key and then grab the end of the audio or video clip in the timeline and drag. This lets you adjust independantly without needing to be unlinked, so less chance of sync issues.
January 15, 2006 08:51PM
Ron, SHIFT-L toggles Linked Selection -- it does NOT break the link between two clips; it temporarily allows you to ignore all link relationships. If a video clip and an audio clip are linked, and you press SHIFT-L and then put them out of sync, once you toggle Linked Selection back on (SHIFT-L again), those two clips will still be linked together.

APPLE-L breaks the link between two clips. After this, they will act independently regardless of Linked Selection unless you manually relink them.

I work in almost a film way in that I always disengage video-audio linking once a clip is in the timeline. Speeds things up for me since it's very rare that my picture and sound cut at the same spot.
January 16, 2006 01:16AM
Uh...ron...you're quibbling...and you are wrong. DEFAULT is COMMAND/L to unlink individual selected AV tracks (or SHIFT-select multiple clips and COMMAND/L to unlink all selected).

Let's give it a rest and move on now, huh?

Post Edited (01-15-06 23:20)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 16, 2006 12:12PM
I love these expansive and sometimes contradictory threads... they conjure up interesting pictures in my (Bizarre) head.

This time you are all drinking strong Mead (beer) in a small Mediaeval Pub for some reason...

Go figure!

PS. Ken you are wearing a heavy leather smithing apron (nothing kinky I can assure you!)

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 18, 2006 05:02PM
Absolutely Jude! Option + dragging audio OR video is the winning technique. FCP Ace Sharon Franklin showed me that one, like, 4 years ago. I've not done Shift + L since then!

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics