WEB MOVIE Questions

Posted by charles Jones 
WEB MOVIE Questions
January 20, 2006 03:54AM
I want to start my website I have spots and shorts none longer than 5 minutes almost all are about a minute or less. But I need to know what format. I think I want the size to be 360x280 is this normal? It's a site for my reel and I want it to load fast what do I do you guru's out there.

Re: WEB MOVIE Questions
January 20, 2006 05:14AM
360 X 240 is standard size.
I have a bunch of samples here
[www.edgesportfishing.com]
Click on the videos link
30 seconds average about 800k one minute about 1.7 megs.
The smaller videos are 240 X 180
Matt Murray
Lineside Productions
Wellington, FL
Florida Sailfish videos, pictures and more
January 20, 2006 05:15AM
yeah, your size is fine. look at sorenson3, mpeg1, mpeg 4, or flash (swf, flv) formats.

you'd be best served to purchase the sorenson compression suite ($400ish), it can produce excellent quality of all the above mentioned formats
January 20, 2006 09:07AM
Not to throw spanners in the works - but there is no "standard size" for web or multimedia video.

It's true that some formats like MPEG-1 will want you to do 16x16px divisible sizes or fixed resolutions but with most Windows Media, Quicktime and Real CODECs they don't limit you too much.

------------------------------------------
The key things to bear in mind are:

For downloads and progressive downloads you should think about the ideal filesize and the download time it incurs.

For streaming files you need to think more about bandwidth divided by total user streams.

From this you should then determine your

Pixel Dimensions, FPS, Bitrate and CODEC. Keep a mind to compatibility across older systems too, possibly offering an alternative download to cover this.

Or

Throw a bloody huge HD H.264 version up and tell people that they have to get QuickTime 7 and wait for the download!

It really only matters what quality you are happy with and more importantly what your audience expect from you and what they are willing to wait for.

Oh and how much bandwidth & space you have on your website!

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Greg Kozikowski
January 20, 2006 11:31AM

A lot of people struggle with the computer compatibility thing. We have been known to post two versions of each commercial, one QuickTime for the 5% of Mac users and a Windows Media (via Flip4Mac) for the 95% PC users.

Those numbers are very different in the creative community, but if you're going for the general audience, that's the rule.

You can sometimes get away with Flash for both platforms, but that can be a lot of money.

Koz
January 27, 2006 12:47PM
I justs watched Matt's fishing videos. Oh I'd love to be able to do my trailers like that!

Are these videos just QT movies placed on a page with a simple link to click on and watch? Why, that's all I wanted.
January 27, 2006 01:19PM
Yes, the videos are just QT files uploaded to the hosting website, and the pics link to the videos.
What did you mean "Oh I's love to be able to do my trailers like that!"????
email me if you have more questions.

Matt Murray
Lineside Productions
Wellington, FL
Florida Sailfish videos, pictures and more
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics