10-BIT UNCOMPRESSED DRIVES

Posted by MSA 
MSA
10-BIT UNCOMPRESSED DRIVES
January 20, 2006 11:49AM
Hi Im using FCP5 on a G5 and would like to switch to 10 bit uncompressed. I know about the kona card, but Im not sure about the drives to run the data on. Of course the xserve raid would be great but budget is the issue. So any ideas or thoughts on any alternative drives would be great.
Thanks
Re: 10-BIT UNCOMPRESSED DRIVES
January 20, 2006 12:20PM
10bit Uncompressed HD or SD?

How much storage (in minutes) do you need?

And what sort of budget you have?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
any of the various flavors of eSATA would be fine and quite reasonably priced.
MSA
January 20, 2006 12:34PM
It would be SD but for storage Im not sure in minutes but in gigs 500 to 1000
and a very low budget 3,000 max
January 20, 2006 12:56PM
Bear in mind that:

Uncompressed NTSC 720 x 486 10-bit SD uses about 100GB per hour (including 2 uncompressed 16-bit 48Khz audio channels)

Uncompressed 1920 x 1080 10-bit HD uses nearly 600GB per hour...

Remember that filling SATA drives over halfway in a RAID literally halves their performance so you need to allow space for this.

I have an external 4TB 8 channel 8 Drive eSATA II RAID that I put together myself, but unless you know what you are doing I'd suggest looking at some eSATA cases like Wayne suggested.

Have a look at "cool drives" and shop around for good quality SATA II HDDs like IBM/Hitachi or Seagate don't skimp on the HDD quality or you'll probably waste more time and money on replacement or have awkward downtime when you really don't need it...

[www.cooldrives.com]

[www.cooldrives.com]

Here is a link to a previous post on RAID:

[www.lafcpug.org]

In total (including UK VAT @17.5%) my 4TB RAID cost £2065 ($3500) including eSATA II Card, PSU and cables.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
MSA
January 20, 2006 02:31PM
Ok that sounds good but now Im a little confused because I see your esata2 card is using firewire will this interfere with my other firewire items(protools, harddrives)
January 20, 2006 03:24PM
No I use the Sonnet Tempo X eSATA II 8 Channel card

[www.sonnettech.com]

This one is for PCI X but they do a newer version for PCI-Express

I use the eSATA II RAID with Uncompressed SD and HD through a Blackmagic Decklnk Pro 4:4:4 as well as DV footage via firewire.

Why did you think it was firewire?

January 21, 2006 06:37PM
I've built a few of the burly box SATA raids from MacGurus. They work very well and were fairly inexpensive. Got the cases from MacGurus and the drives from ZipZoomFly.com. If you aren't comfortable building it yourself (it was pretty easy) they'll build it for you for a slight fee.

Joe Brown
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics