4 tracks audio - 2 channels out

Posted by Eddie Roman 
4 tracks audio - 2 channels out
January 20, 2006 03:40PM
I have 4 tracks of audio on the timeline. I need to output to Betacam with the audio on tracks 1&2 going to channel 1 of the Betacam tape and tracks 3&4 going to channel 2. How do I do this?

FCP5
Dual 2.5 G5
OSX 10.4
AJA Kona LH

Re: 4 tracks audio - 2 channels out
January 20, 2006 03:44PM
Pan Tracks 1 & 2 left and pan tracks 3 & 4 Right. Then select Channels 1 & 2 as the output and patch to the beta deck accordingly.
January 20, 2006 03:47PM
Control click (right click for you cool mighty mousers) on the space just to the left of the track number and right of the green disable button. The first item on the pull down is "audio output" Select the track you want to go to. Of course to make FCP not act like stereo left and right, but rather two mono channels, you must change your sequence settings audio output to "dual mono"

Make sure you at least render a mix down, or make two aif files of each track and lay those in on tracks one and two respectively.
I did what you said, and it works, but now this is happening: When there is audio on both channels, Channel 1 is louder. Voice is on ch1 and music is on ch2. When the music goes away, the voice is about 6 db lower than it is when music is present. What to do?

January 20, 2006 04:51PM
Do you not have a mixer in this setup? You just turn down the audio on the faders
As in live? As I'm laying it to tape?
January 20, 2006 06:40PM
eddie,

Ch 1 is now louder because you are "summing" the output of two channels into one. If this is how you need to output, you should set your chanels accordingly and monitor it as you cut. If you had any "out of phase" mono tracks in this kind of set up, you'd find that the signal would almost disappear as the opposite phases cancel each other out. (Which is what you're describing) This is why we're recommending that you monitor it BEFORE outputting.

This is "audio 101" and has nothing to do with FCP.

mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics