Capture Scratch

Posted by GFA 
GFA
Capture Scratch
January 21, 2006 05:39PM
Getting the following error message when I go to capture a clip - "An error occured finding one or more of the specified capture scratch volume(s). Verify that both audio and video scratch disks are set in the preferences. "

Never got this before. What can I do?

Re: Capture Scratch
January 21, 2006 06:20PM
Do exactly what it says! Go to the Final cut pro system settings and make sure you have a scratch disk allocated. You may have previously had a disk set as the scratch disk that is no longer hooked up to the computer.
January 21, 2006 10:55PM
While I would be sure you've probably checked this, there is another instigator that will cause this error message: that little foward slash that has gotten me when I edit for periods w/o needing to capture regularly. Then, when I'm in a hurry to capture some footage and to write a description thereof, again quickly, I have erred by occasionally using this usually harmless hyphenation (as above, for "without", or more commonly, "beach pan w/CU," or the likes). In any case, FCP will stumble w/ these clips and this message will appear. Simply remove those offending slashes and things should capture w/o incident.
But, if this is not your case, then by all means do as Mr. Nolan indicates, check the settings.
Hope this helps.
GFA
January 21, 2006 11:55PM
It was the slash mark in the clip names - that's why it was intermittent and driving me crazy - Thanks for your promp[t response.

January 22, 2006 05:43AM
Nice catch, Frank! This should be in the FAQs -- another case of FCP not reporting a problem accurately and confusing the user.
January 22, 2006 08:14AM
>>another case of FCP not reporting a problem accurately and confusing the user.
<<

Actually, it is reporting correctly, because in (flavours of) Unix the forward slash does the same thing as it does in a web address - it indicates a subdirectory or the one before it.

So just like [www.lafcpug.org] means 'the phorum section at www.lafcpug', something like "beach w/CU" means the CU file or subdirectory of the 'beach w' directory.

Um. OK. Yes, I am being a geek, but I thought it might help understand why this happens smiling smiley
Greg Kozikowski
January 22, 2006 03:51PM
<<<Um. OK. Yes, I am being a geek, but I thought it might help understand why this happens smiling smiley>>>

Absolutely correct. The machine didn't return an error because you did something perfectly valid--just not what you intended. There are a number of "magic" characters and it's necessary to avoid them, like * and ?. They all mean something special to the operating system.

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics