how to log once for a two-camera shoot?

Posted by Garret 
Last night I did a two-camera shoot with DVX-100s. I slaved the timecode so that both cameras were using the same time of day information.

Since both tapes have the same timecode, I'd love to log one tape and use the same timecode ins and outs for the second tape.

I tried duplicating the clips before capturing, then moving them into another bin and changing the tape name (I think that would work in Avid), but doing so changed the tape name in the original clip.

How do I make the duplicated clips independent of the originals?

Is there a way to do this? I thought about entering all the ins/outs by hand in the Log and Capture window, but I'd rather not do that.

Thanks,
Garret

FCP 4.5
OS 10.3.7
Dual 1 gHz

Re: how to log once for a two-camera shoot?
January 27, 2006 11:47AM
This worked in earlier versions of FCP. The functionality has been broken.

All the best,

Tom
January 27, 2006 12:05PM
? Select your bin "Camera Roll 01"

? Copy (apple+c)

? Paste (apple+v)

? Rename new bin as "Camera Roll 02"

? Open bin and select all the clips (apple+a)

? Right-click or Option click one of the icons and choose:

? "Make Master Clip"

? Show list view and scroll along until you see the Reel column

? Select one clip and edit the Reel setting to "Roll 02" press enter

? Select all the clips (apple+a)

? Right-click or Option click one of the Reel entries and choose "Roll 02"

You should now have the entire bin set as new Master Clips all set to Roll 02...

However - this is the first part

You now have to go in and edit each clip name slightly (add an 'r2' to the end of the clip name maybe?) so that when you digitise all the clips in they won't clash names on the drive.

You could however wait until you have captured all one reel then allow FCp to warn you about the name conflict and edit each as they come up.

Hope this helps

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 27, 2006 12:21PM
Have you tried that Ben?

If I follow your steps both sets of reel numbers change.

All the best,

Tom
Ben,

Thanks for that detailed step by step.

1) Call me crazy, but when I option click, I don't see "Make Master Clip" as an option. I do see "Duplicate as New Master Clip." I've got a book that says "Make Master Clip" is in the Modify pull down, but I don't see it there, either. I'm using FCP 4.5.

2) When I use the "Duplicate as New Mater Clip" command, then change the Reel number, it still changes the other Reel. Same thing Tom is experiencing.

Thanks,
Garret

January 27, 2006 12:52PM
One set of clips will show Duplicate as Master Clip, the other set the copied set, should show Make Master Clip. It doesn't matter which way I do I still can't make it work as it used to.

All the best,

Tom
January 27, 2006 01:24PM
I haven't done this in a while, but I think the work around was I captured tape one. Then Duplicate the clips. Make one set offline (don't delete!) now you have one set online one set offline. Change the offline's reel # and it wont change the online's reel.

Change each clip name (or you have to click "yes" to the "already exists" warning)

Pretty sure this works.. again.. haven't done it in a while.

-Rick
How about exporting a Batch List of what you've already captured, open it in Excel and edit the changes (reel names and file names) there, then Save that as a batch list and Capture the second tape using that? Out of FCP's sight and mind, it can't "help" you the way you seem to be finding with Ben's method.

Scott
January 27, 2006 02:01PM
That's right. That will work after you capture the first batch.

All the best,

Tom
January 27, 2006 06:06PM
Also try moving the offline batch list to a new project file, then moving it back. That should break the link between the two sets of entries.
Steve Hawley
January 27, 2006 07:49PM
What worked for me (in 3 and 4, haven't done it since) was to name my first clip, put in reel name, in and out points and hit log clip.

Then, drag that clip's icon from the bin back into the preview part of the log and capture window...change the clip name and the reel name, then hit log clip.

Fast, easy, elegant.

- Steve
January 28, 2006 06:57AM
Ah sorry Tom and (guys on v4.5) I only checked on FCPv5 - my bad for not checking your sig.

The quick work-around similar to Derek mentioned:

? Log Roll 02 on a separate project

? Save project as Roll-02.fcp

then

? Change the Reel settings for all the clips to Roll 01

? Save project as Roll-01.fcp

? Capture Roll 01

? Open Roll-02.fcp

? Capture Roll 02

? You will now have two folders in your Capture Scratch called

Roll-01.fcp
Roll-02.fcp

Each of these will contain a set of identical named clips

? Make a new "master" project

? Drag the folders Roll-01.fcp & Roll-02.fcp into the FCP browser or import>folder...

or

? Open the two FCP projects "Roll-01.fcp" & "Roll-02.fcp" and copy & paste the clips/bins into the master project.

Either way you should now have 2 bins with the media from Roll-01.fcp & Roll-02.fcp

The downside to this method is that if you need to recapture the project you will need to capture from the separate projects "Roll-01.fcp" & "Roll-02.fcp" and then reconnect media in your "master" project to avoid conflicts.

Alternatively - use the media manager to copy the media to another project and then rename clip conflicts as they occur.

Again - soz for the confusion about FCP versions - I will be more vigilant

Ben

PS I have just tried Steve Hawley's method and it works brilliantly on FCP v5 too.

I guess you are going to have to choose a working method you like most.

I would use Steve's if you haven't logged anything yet and the copying files method if you have already logged lots of shots.

Good luck

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 28, 2006 08:03AM
i like the 2 projects approach.

i think what i would then do is rename the captured FILES in the finder,
using R-Name, my favourite Mac re-namer:

[www2.mitsuya.nuem.nagoya-u.ac.jp]

i'd change both lots, adding an A or 1 to the first,
and a B or 2 to the second.

move them both into one folder,
and import or drag that into FCP.

with this method, you couldn't have complex logging (log notes, "good" marks etc) just the name,
but that's how i work anyway.

cheers,
nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics