HELP! Audio Not syncing

Posted by Elaine Hamilton 
<HTML>Hi Guys,
You've answered many questions in this group. Please answer this one. I just put together a final cut system and I'm currently learning the program, which is never fun. I have the dual 533, Final Cut 2.0, Quick time 5, dual monitors, plenty of Ram allocated I think, two dedicated 72 gig dedicated drives, Sony DSR 11 machine, etc., configured by Intelligent Media. I have the RT Mac card but it doesn't seem to be doing anything, I think it's because of the way I captured the video, (via firewire directly through the computer). Who knows.
The problem is audio off sync. The sync looked fine during the capture. I captured two 40min mini DV tapes originally shot on a Cannon XL1. I used the Capture Now function with the sync movie turned in the preference menu. There were no obvious time code breaks. I'm getting no drop frame warnings. I have 29.9 gigs of space left on the dedicated drive for this project. This audio playback progressively drifts. The drift is about 20frames by the end of the long clip. What is causing this? How do I fix it and avoid it in the future? Is it because of the way I captured the media? It's not the monitoring. I have an external NTSC monitor and speakers. I also turned the external monitoring off just to check.
If you have time could you respond as soon as possible.

Thanks
Elaine Hamilton
Visiontele@aol.com</HTML>
<HTML>There seems to be issues playing tapes recorded on an XL1 through a Sony deck. However, is it possible you recorded at say 32khz and your capture audio sample rate is 48khz? or vice versa? Your recorded audio sample rate MUST match your sequence presets and capture audio sample rate or you will get sync drift.

Trash prefs and try again is the only thing you can do keeping the above in mind.

mike</HTML>
<HTML>
Thanks Michael for the quick response,
The non matching sample rate seems to be the common concensus to the audio sync problem.
The other problem I'm having is with the XL1 and firewire. I had a few tapes shot on Cannon that would not play from the Sony machine at all. I borrowed a camera to play back those tapes and firewire in directly. I used the same firewire cable that was connected to the DSR but Final Cut would not recognize the camera. I called tech support but was told it should recognize it. I called Cannon but they had no answers. I just assumed the Cannon firewire camera connector is bad.
Are there settings in the Camera or Final Cut that I'm missing?</HTML>
<HTML>You are going to have to go into the Device control Presets and try Firewire Basic as your protocol and also make sure you installed those tuner scripts that came in the extras folder on the FCP CD. Page 128 of the manual is a good place to start here.

Thats about all I can think of on the XL 1 problem. I seem to recall the tuner plug ins were more for the GL 1 then the XL 1 but it doesn't hurt to throw them in.

mike</HTML>
Re: HELP! Audio Not syncing
July 06, 2001 01:53PM
<HTML>If it is a long clip you are capturing watch out for the "auto sync compensator"---that will often mess up long clips.</HTML>
<HTML>With the XL1 you want ASC ON. Just about every other camera, you want it OFF. Whole new ball game in 2.0 what with the pre sets. Sometimes making things simple makes things hard.

mike</HTML>
Re:Thanks. Another Question?
July 11, 2001 08:02PM
<HTML>Elaine,

The PowerStart Cdrom says that a Sony camera audio is 3200 and the Canon is 4800
I'm not sure if your Sony machine is set the same as a sony camera, but when I
hired another videographer to work with me on a shoot, His Sony audio did not
sync with my canon audio in editing.

kira</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics