put a speaker on top of my ntsc monitor--anyway to degauss?

Posted by clay 
put a speaker on top of my ntsc monitor--anyway to degauss?
February 01, 2006 03:01PM
OK, so I think I have a problem here. A couple of days ago, I set one of our monitor speakers on top of our sony ntsc CRT monitor (a PVM-1341 model). I know all about speakers containing powerful magnets, and issues that crop up with various electronic devices if you place magnets near them. I assumed the speaker was shielded, and didn't notice any interference on the screen. Until this afternoon.

On the top right corner of the screen, I'm seeing an area that I'm sure was affected by a magnet. If I bring up a blue screen, it shows as green. On CRT computer monitors there's a degauss button, but no such luck on this display.

any suggestions on what to do, or is this monitor screwed?
Re: put a speaker on top of my ntsc monitor--anyway to degauss?
February 01, 2006 04:20PM
I had a director walk past a monitor with a money clip in his pocket. Nice big green streak through the middle of the picture. The monitor got downgraded to an offline/digitizing room, and couple of weeks later, it was gone... at least it wasn't noticeable .. and again I wasn't doing any color correcting or anything fancy!

Hope that helps keep the spirits up!
Greg Kozikowski
February 01, 2006 06:03PM
Most glass monitors go through a degauss step when you turn them on. That's the sharp buzz that fades out when you push the power button.

This only happens when the monitor is cold and off when you turn it on--say overnight or after several hours.

That's why minor color errors seem to fade away over time.

If you have a serious magnetic problem, say in the middle of the screen, you may need a demagnitize coil or tape "demagger." Any TV servicing shop should be able to do this at minimum charge. Radio Shack used to offer a small device that would do this, but not any more.

The monitor doesn't have to be turned on to use any external degaussing tools.

Koz

February 02, 2006 10:21AM
Whew! Came in this morning, switched on the monitor, and all appears to be back to normal. What luck!

I think one reason I didn't think about the magnetism issue was that the speakers I use at home on my computer are shielded, and I have one directly to the side of my CRT. Of course there are no issues with that, so I didn't think twice about the speaker being on top of the monitor here at work.

Anyway, thanks for your words of advice, and I'll definitely not do this again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics