Disk Warrior

Posted by Ken Stone 
Disk Warrior
February 01, 2006 03:02PM
Hi Guys,

I just brought a new G5 dual 2.3 into my studio (10.4.4). I discovered that there was a Directory error so I pulled out my trusty Disk Warrior 3.0.3 disk. I was not able to boot from DW using the c key.

I just got off the phone with Alsoft teck. The reason that my DW 3.0.3 Tiger disk would not boot is because of the new dual core chips (IBM) in the new Mac. Alsoft has a new version of DW that will boot the new Macs.

You can call 800 257 6381 to order a replacement disk for about $20.

If you are running a newer dual core Mac I suggest that you get the updated disk now, as opposed to later when you might need the disk and not have it.

--ken
Anonymous User
Re: Disk Warrior
February 01, 2006 03:08PM
Thanks Ken

Good tip/trick of the week.

Mike

February 01, 2006 04:31PM
It's a bummer there not a Disk Warrior CD updater available that will allow you to created a new bootable CD I'm sure there will be in time though.
February 01, 2006 04:33PM
Ken,

I think you need DW 3.03 (rev 39) to run. If you check different versions of DW 3.03 they are 10.3.7(37) and 10.3.9(38), but 3.03 rev 39 is 10.4.2.

I just insert the disc into the drive and open Startup Disk Control Panel and it lists what version of OSX files are on it.

I also had another surprise a couple of weeks ago when I received my G5 Quad system. I have the Tiger 10.4 retail disc and I thought I would reload Tiger from it instead of the DVD's shipped with the computer. It caused the first system panic crash I have ever witnessed.

I then loaded the install discs from the system and reloaded 10.4.2 as the default. It makes me wonder if the new mac's need at least 10.4.2 to even startup a new Dual Core G5?

John
February 01, 2006 04:35PM
Dean,

And even the updaters to TechTool Pro 4.x can not burn to a new CD version. They want you to build a safety boot partition using their utility and update it to the latest 4.11 version.

John
February 01, 2006 04:47PM
Hi John,

My Tiger 10.4 retail disc would not boot the G 5 dual 2.3 either, but I could boot from the Install disk that came with the dual 2.3.

The times they are a changing.

--ken
February 01, 2006 08:13PM
>Tiger disk would not boot is because of the new dual core chips (IBM) in the new Mac.

I didn't think the Intel chips were shipping in G5's yet.
February 01, 2006 09:40PM
Hi Frank,

It's not. These are the latest IBM chips.

--ken
February 01, 2006 11:38PM
The Intel chips "Are" shipping in the iMacs Not in the MacBook Pro's Apples new laptops (coming this month), The new iMacs are not however G5's nor or the MacBook Pro's. The Power(pc) is gone in the new machines but the speed will be phenomenal once all programs are optimized for Intel. I also can't wait until we are out of the FAT stage and run under one chip set (will it be yin or will it be yang?). But that will be years from now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics