How Can I Create Color Accent on B&W Video

Posted by Gary Sumlak 
How Can I Create Color Accent on B&W Video
February 04, 2006 05:03AM
I have a 10 second wedding video scene of a Groom and 4 groom's men. The Groom has a white boutonniere and the Groom's men all have red boutonnieres. The scene starts on a wide shot to the left of the men, the camera passes down the line to bust shots of all the men, then stops on a wide shot of all the men on their right.

What I would like to do is have the scene in B&W except for the deep red of the boutonnieres retaining their full color vibrance. Kind of like the effect in the movie "Sin City".

If anyone could help me accomplish this effect, I would be very grateful. Can I use the standard keying in FCP to do this? I did a search on color accents, but could not find anything.

I have FCP 5 (Studio) and the latest Nattress Film Effects (if that helps). I don't have any other 3rd party plugins.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Re: How Can I Create Color Accent on B&W Video
February 04, 2006 07:43AM
Isolate Color - in the FCP bundle $19.95 from River Rock Studios

[www.riverrockstudios.com]

You may still need to use mattes to mask out any other areas that contain a lot of similar Red though.

Regards

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 04, 2006 09:35AM
Or do this, like we suggest just about once a week in here winking smiley

[www.lafcpug.org]
February 04, 2006 10:42AM
One note: Limit Effect in Color Corrector (as suggested by the "Pleasantville Look" article linked by Jude above) can be buggy, sampling the wrong colours and sometimes even the exact opposite colour from the one you click on. If you find that it's not doing what you want, chances are you need to trash preferences.

I've attempted to use Limit Effect on about four different stations, and three out of the four couldn't do it properly. I used the exact same clips and the exact same procedure and techniques on my own station, and it worked just fine.
February 04, 2006 08:26PM
Is that mostly in FCP 5, Derek? Or a random assortment of versions?
February 04, 2006 08:30PM
Thanks guys.

Although, I could not find anything using "Accent color", it was pointed out that this q has been asked many times before - I guess it is all the search key words. Thanks for you patience in answering this repeated question yet again.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
February 04, 2006 09:06PM
> Is that mostly in FCP 5, Derek? Or a random assortment of versions?

Good question, Jude...the versions I had trouble with were all FCP5 stations, while I still have FCP4.5 at home. I haven't been able to rule out the good ol' corrupt preferences possibility, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics