Question about Pro Football

Posted by Darren 
Question about Pro Football
February 05, 2006 10:11PM
I've always wondered (now being reminded by the Superbowl) when they show instant replays in slow motion and how the shots are so smooth. Outside of obvious big money camera equipment, do they film in 60 frames per second or something?
Re: Question about Pro Football
February 06, 2006 01:52AM
I think most of that would be accomplished with big money tape machines. Usually each camera would be fed to a tape machine as well as the live switcher.
February 06, 2006 07:43AM
ABC uses 720p60. Everything has a 60fps frame rate and no interlacing. The best format for sports in my view.

All the best,

Tom
February 06, 2006 09:46AM
Darren-

I worked the superbowl last night. As Tom points out we use 720p which is 60 fps. We also had 4 "superslo" cameras that shoot at 120 fps, and one expermential camera from Sony that shoots 180 fps.

The cameras are recorded into servers by EVS (often called Elvis). The operators mark in and outpoints for the play. While the machine continues to record they can playback the replay, or save it to be used later. All the EVS machines are networked together so that operators can use clips made on any machine.

As one of the show's editors I had access to all the clips they create, as will as everything that was recoreded on any camera at any time. I am able to cue up a play and browse through all the recorded material at that timecode to look for the best angle.

-Vance
February 06, 2006 11:43AM
Thanks for answering my question Tom and Vance.

WOW! 120fps!?!? No wonder those bad boys are so smooth! I am absolutely enamored by that quality of slo mo. Can you point me to a website link that shows that breed of camera?

Thanks
--Darren
February 06, 2006 01:22PM
<<As one of the show's editors I had access to all the clips they create, as will as everything that was recoreded on any camera at any time. I am able to ....>>

Can you put together the show that has the Seahawks winning?

Scott
bj
February 06, 2006 05:01PM
I expect we will see some very cool "Sony" slo-mo in the upcoming winter olmypics.
Bj
February 12, 2006 07:21PM
OH MAN DO THEY?!
I saw the coolest slo-mo where it would leave where the skiier is on screen every few frames to show the pattern of flight.

Equally cool? The ski jump where the cam flies down the hill with the skiier and then transitions into a following shot from the side in real time. It looks only a bit chunky - but very effective.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
February 12, 2006 08:16PM
Yeah the whole sports/Olympic World has introduced a lot of new camera views. Like even in diving where the camera drops down a pole or something with the diver all the way under water.

Didn't Vince McMahon's XFL use that camera angle behind the line of scrimage like when you play Madden Football on a videogame?

--Darren
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics