to "p" or not to "p"...

Posted by wayne granzin 
to "p" or not to "p"...
February 06, 2006 11:42AM
... that is the question.

will using the deinterlace filter give the same result as shooting in progressive mode? or is it just a simulation?

is the resulting movie a true "progressive" movie?
Re: to "p" or not to "p"...
February 06, 2006 11:50AM
My initial thought is no...but I can't say for sure.

Shoot 30i and 30p, de-interlace the 30i and compare it with the 30p...that is the only way to see...
February 06, 2006 12:10PM
It's a simulation. Better de-interlacers provide better simulation. In many the results are superb. But watch out, many cameras only have fake progressive modes, which are like poor sofware de-interlacers. Some cameras have real progressive modes.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
February 06, 2006 12:15PM
other than getting a "filmy" look, whats the benefit to shooting progressive?
February 06, 2006 12:37PM
Wayne,

Progressive footage is one part of film look, The other is 24 fps since we are used to seeing it projected on a large screen and there is flicker that we "filter out" with our minds. Video can't reqally have a film look because film emulsion and film look different.

If you search around for progressive, there is some information that it is still displayed interlaced but not by the scan lines. IE: there are no scan lines on a LCD or DLP display.

Obviously by deleting one half the number of the frames is going to give you a really different look and half the size of content. That is if it is truly deleting the odd frames or some such other task.
February 06, 2006 12:41PM
Better compression on progressive, and better compatibility with modern (non-CRT based) displays.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
February 07, 2006 09:16PM
plus you can probably get a better jpeg for the web or a still picture -- am I right?
February 08, 2006 12:18PM
You would normally deinterlace or blend the fields on a screen still from video anyway so in that respect yes - you would negate the need to do this when using progressive video.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics