HELP! I should have skiped this HDV job!

Posted by Rick Sebeck 
HELP! I should have skiped this HDV job!
February 11, 2006 12:39PM
So I have footage that was shot on the Cannon H1. I went to rent an HDV deck, and the rental company said they only have a Sony Z! and after I told him that I just needed to digitize footage from a Cannon, he said it would still work - "HDV is HDV", he said.

Well guess what, its not! Apparently the Z1 will only play will only play footage from the H1 if it is in 60i and of course my footage is 24f

What a waste of $200

Anyone have a HDV deck or cannon camera that I could "rent" for a couple of hours to digitize this footage?
Re: HELP! I should have skiped this HDV job!
February 11, 2006 01:07PM
Thhis subject has just been hashed around here a couple of days ago. HDV is not HDV for every camera player. Evidentally Sony's HDV is different than Canon's vs JVC. What a pile of garbage!

Just say NO! To HDV
Anonymous User
February 11, 2006 01:17PM
I'm not sure if the Z1 will even play the Canon 60i from the H1. You need an H1, period. I'd try some camera rental places and charge the dude. Hollywood Studio Rentals in Burbank might have one.

February 11, 2006 02:18PM
And get a refund for the misinformation you were dealt.
I have a Canon XL H1.

Give me a call.

Harry at 323 851 2942

But I think you may encourter difficulties digitising into FCP at 24f

Let's talk.
again, another reason i say that HDV is the most misdeveloped effort in the history of electronics!
Greg Kozikowski
February 11, 2006 06:58PM
<<<But I think you may encourter difficulties digitising into FCP at 24f>>>

Will the HDV preset in FCP even accept 24P?

Koz

It seems to accept it for capture, because I can see the image
onscreen while digitizing. And it creates a file of reasonable proportions. But
since I am unable to play it back I can't tell if it has truly
accepted/digitized it properly. It's a pain.
>
> Best
>
> Harry.
>
>

February 12, 2006 11:51AM
I'd be inclined to think that if it can't play it back then it hasn't accepted/digitized it properly. The canon does NOT shoot 24p. It shoots something called 24psf (progressive segmented frames) and I'm pretty sure it is not supported in FCP. I think there are a couple of PC platforms that support it. I would suspect that Apple can see the writing on the wall for HDV and as such is not spending too much time and resource on supporting it fully.
February 12, 2006 12:04PM
What happens when you try? YOu mean you open a captured clip and it won't show up in the viewer?

You aren't talking about playback to the camera are you, because HDV can't do that.
I mean that when I attempt to open a captured clip in FCP I am unable to create a sequence with it. I knew this would happen, since the Canon people had told me so prior to my purchase - and that I had to wait for an FCP upgrade to support their weird 24f mode.

And no, I am not talking about playback to the camera.

By the way, the picture quality produced by this camera (when viewed directly from athe camera to a Hi Def monitor) is simply stunning. It is sharper than the Panasonic HVX and has extraordinary low light ability. All I need now is to be able to EDIT THE DAMN STUFF!!!

Best

H.
February 12, 2006 12:40PM
I beg to differ about the quality comparison. But I have a brilliant DP.

And what good is the quality if you can't work with the footage?

Yeah, I skipped an HDV project myself. Shot with the ZU1 in CINEFRAME MODE. Yuck....yuck yuck yuck. Picture quality sacrificed for a fake 24P look. I didn't walk away, I ran.
Anonymous User
February 12, 2006 01:35PM
I think Brad Wright (HDVxDV) is working on a solution for the Canon. He's got one for the JVC's 24 now. Otherwise you have to wait for Apple. I am sure they are working on it. This camera seems to be selling fairly well but nothing like the JVC or Sonys. Having see footage from this cam it is indeed stunning.

February 12, 2006 02:05PM
Well this would explain that when I did capture this with the Cannon camera a while back it played back at a strange speed in FCP. By slowing the footage down by 80% it almost goes back into synch - but obviously looks like crap!

Is there anyway to play the footage back (from the cannon) and use the SDI out into the Kona 2? 1080i 24fps? or even 720p 24fps?

-Rick
February 12, 2006 02:09PM
Try and let us know. It SHOULD work. You just need to capture it as a different format, like DVCPRO HD or uncompressed 8-bit.
Michael,

How can I get in contact with Brad Wright to whose name you mysteriously append "(HDVxDV)". I'd like to find out what he's up to and if he's anywhere near cracking this Canon 24f issue which is important to me. I start shooting in 2 weeks! Obviously I don't really need to actually cut until after we wrap, but I'm anxious about it, and both Apple and Canon stonewall me.

And Frank Nolan's post (above) kind of depressed me since he is saying such gloomy things - that Apple "can see the writing on the wall for HDV and as such is not spending too much time and resource on supporting it fully." Gulp!

Perhaps you can help me contact Brad?

Best

Harry.
February 12, 2006 02:34PM
Harry,
Please dont pay too much attention to my comment as it was just a speculative opinion based entirely on my own thoughts about HDV as an entry level HD acquisition format.
you can reach brad via the support link at:

[hdvxdv.com]
Oh, ok. I'll put away the razorblades and Prozac, then.

Thanks for the reply.

Best

Harry
Thanks very much, Wayne. I'll try to get hold of him there.

Best

Harry
and good luck to you! hope you get the answers you need.
The best place to search HDV decks and HD VTRs in your area is:

[www.hddeckrentals.com]

You can compare prices and find the exact deck you need!

Kirk
Anonymous User
February 12, 2006 05:35PM
Thanks Kirk. That is defiantly a place to bookmark. Never heard of it before now.

Anonymous User
February 12, 2006 05:47PM
Harry and all

Spoke to Brad at HDVxDV. He says a customer of his confirmed that yes, 24f will work with HDVxDV. Try it. Download the demo and then tell us if it works.

He's been ill for last few weeks and is just recovering.

[www.hdvxdv.com]

Hi Everyone:

Yes, HDVxDV will convert video from the Cannon in 24F mode. A customer confirmed that it just works! So, HDVxDV works with every HDV camera out there (JVC, Cannon, and Sony). Take a look at:

[www.hdvdxdv.com]

Download it, try it, buy it!
Brad,

I've just been trying it and it looks like a snazzy little program.

My problem is that, although your program does in fact control my Canon XL H1 via firewire, and I see time code rolling through, I don't actually seem to capture anything. Wierd. After the capture process, nothing comes up in the preview window, and when I go to the hard drive to take a look at the size of the capture file, it tells me "zero k".

Help -- what next? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Harry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics