Roll Credits - Should be sooooo easy.

Posted by Geno Andrews 
I'm trying to set up a simple credit roll where the appearence on screen is two colums with the word CAST at the top.

The column on the left is the character names JUSTIFIED RIGHT. The column on the right are the Actors names JUSTIFIED LEFT. This giving a small gutter between the two sets of names.

Is there a setting within the ROLL PORTION off the text option that allows me to do this? It seems the only way is to create TWO different layers and have them scroll simultaneously. One with actors names. The other with character names... justified to fit.

It should look like this...

Beef JOHNNY DEP
Sallit NICHOLE KIDMAN
Harry RUSSEL CROWE

And so on...

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Geno Andrews
Re: Roll Credits - Should be sooooo easy.
February 13, 2006 07:38PM
> Is there a setting within the ROLL PORTION off the text option that allows
> me to do this? It seems the only way is to create TWO different layers and
> have them scroll simultaneously.

On this kind of thing, usually I would create a Photoshop file and arrange the elements there. Even Boris Title 3D isn't very good at this.
ryanthompson
February 13, 2006 07:53PM
i always wondered this myself, youd think fcp would have built in type of thing for this
Anonymous User
February 13, 2006 08:05PM
Just get the text collection from CHV. Its much easier

[www.chv-plugins.com]

February 13, 2006 09:34PM
Agree with Michael - CHV credits plug in is outstanding - but if you FCP studio - try doing the roll in Live Type - had good success with that. Andy
It is easy. Using the scrolling text window, just type space asterix space to create a center gutter. Hit return to start the next line. Space x2 asterix space2 will give you a wider gutter. Or space x3 etc.

That do it?

Clay
February 14, 2006 03:07PM
Wow... what a cool trick.. I had no idea it did that? Where did you learn that? Are there other "codes" for other text generators?
Anonymous User
February 14, 2006 03:30PM
Actually its been that way since V1. Just sometimes its easier to use another text generator for crawls rather than FCPs.

February 14, 2006 07:51PM
Scrolling Text sucks quality wise: AVOID.

Even Boris Title 3D isn't very good at this.

You're so wrong Derek! ;-)

And you don't use Title 3D, you use Title Crawl

It works great for making a center gutter. You either have to read the PDF or my book for the full low down.

In the top left of the Boris interface, you can click and drag out tab stops along the ruler. Click each tab stop to make it center, left or right justified.

BTW, making rolls is easy. Making them look good is probably one of the most difficult things to do.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics