Sony DSR-11 DV Deck

Posted by Chris 
Sony DSR-11 DV Deck
May 07, 2005 12:19PM
What is the view of the assembled masses on this deck for use as a DV Editing deck for a FCP based setup?

[www.computervideo.net]

Chris
Re: Sony DSR-11 DV Deck
May 07, 2005 01:15PM
i dont like it, simply becasue it doesnt have an onboard tmecode display.
others dont mind it - im just used to having it.
May 07, 2005 03:43PM
The DSR-11 is a good staple deck for DV and DVCAM usage. It is PAL or NTSC compatible as well as playing both Mini-DV and full sized 184 minute cassettes.

For the price it is not possible to find a better unit (and it is sturdy) but no timecode readouts are problematic for some.

You should be able to find it for around $1500 or better sometimes.
May 07, 2005 06:32PM
If it was my money I would get a used drs 20 over a new dsr 11-
I have used both alot --the 20 is a Way better machine--will last
you forever--Buy the best you can-- Never had a glitch using a 20-
cant say the same for a dsr 11 --being able to see levels and
time code is important too-- Jay--
May 07, 2005 07:28PM
DSR11 beens great for me.
no hassles at all, except for the door.

when the door breaks off (which it will.. guaranteed) remember to keep it atatched to the unit.
you want to keep the dust out.
it's magnetic, so it will stay there. i've got some extra tape as well.

but the machine works fine.

nick
May 07, 2005 07:46PM
i just cant see spening money on soething that is guaranteed to break, even in the smallest way...

i say pick up a used or old stock dsr20
May 07, 2005 08:31PM
You can display your timecode on your external monitor from the DSR-11 with the 'display' button on the remote. I actually miss this simplicity on the DSR-25 because you have to reach in and physically switch several buttons on the front to do this on the '25.

I second the DSR-11 as being a good sturdy unit at a great price. And also that the door will break off.
May 08, 2005 08:40AM
DSR-11 WORKHORSE.

The fact that it can play and record BOTH NTSC & PAL has been a real help.

Time Code and other data display on my monitor at the push of a button on the remote. Are there better decks, yup, but not in this price range.
May 08, 2005 02:04PM
Should I be worried about the lack of timecode display on the deck? I have a dual 20" ACD setup and can see timecode displayed on my ACD if I need it. I understand that I will be able to control the DSR-11 from FCP via FW yes?

I am trying to stay under the 1500ukp (I am UK based) budget. I currently do not have an edit deck. Up until now I have used only the DV camera itself, but I am mindful that a deck would be a good purchase.

Chris
May 08, 2005 04:17PM
Time code will display on your video monitor.

Deck is controled by firewire.
May 09, 2005 03:57AM
Chris,
ANYTHING is a good purchase if you NEED it.

i used my camera for a while before i got a DSR11.
i NEEDED to get one to deal with the large format tapes on a 60min doco.

i looked at heaps of decks before i settled on that one.
back then there werent the decks with the built in screens. i like them.
timecode display on the deck wasnt a major concern, as you can read the TC on either you external monitor, or see it in the FCP log and capture window.

like-wise audio metering: for digital audio via FW, you can see that in FCP, and you cant do anything about it anyway if it's digital: just numbers going down the FW cable.

if you do a lot of dubbng analogue sources to DV tape then audio monitoring would be usefull.

basicaly the more i looked, the more it seemed like i either had to spend a LOT of money to get a "real" deck with all the bells and whistles, (like RS422 control) or go for a cheaper option.

so went all the way and got the cheapest that satisfied my needs.
i;ve not regreted it.
i DO like the look of the new decks with built-in monitors,
but in reality, i dont NEED that:
on the odd occasion when i need to monitor the tape without the aid of the big external monitor, i plug in my camera, flip out the screen, and use that.

nick

May 09, 2005 09:16AM
I've had my DSR-11 for 3 years now and only broke the door last week! I was being clumsy. I glued the little button back on and it's holding.
I too went through the other machines, worked with plenty too (DSR-80, DSR-20, 1800, and the new DSR-45) the DSR-11 has been really good and totally reliable.
May 09, 2005 12:30PM
Had my DSR-11 for 4 years and the door hasn't broken.
May 09, 2005 08:07PM
I have owned several DSR-11s and loved them. But I have to admit, I just got a DSR-45 and it is amazing. You don't realize how handy the LCD on the front is until you use it... especially in a Dub rack. Plus being able to black stripe TC on tapes is great for starting programs at 1 HR. Many other handy features that just make it a very nice purchase. If you are budget minded thee DSR-11 is great... but the DSR-45 is well worth the extra money.
May 09, 2005 09:46PM
that blackstripe sounds great, rick.
tell me, how are your edits to tape, accuracy-wise?
and do you use FW or 9pin?

nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics