SAN for DV

Posted by Philip Norden 
SAN for DV
July 18, 2005 03:34PM
I need to upgrade my FCP system. I'm running FCP 4.5 on a 2GHZ G5, with a DSR 1500 DV deck and a 500gb SATA raid. I've got a job coming up for which I'll need to add a second edit system, plus at least 1TB of shared storage for DV media files between myself and an assistant editor. I've heard great things about XSan and XServe Raid, but it seems like overkill for this setup. Does anyone know of a cheaper yet reliable solution? Also, I need a capture card that will do inverse telecine/3:2 pulldown digitizing from my DV deck in realtime. Kona LS and Aurora Igniter seem like my only options. Any opinions on one over the other?
Re: SAN for DV
July 18, 2005 03:59PM
Micronets Sancube is pretty cool. No fiber so it's cheaper. Firewire only and one person can actually carry it.

[www.micronet.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Greg Kozikowski
July 18, 2005 05:08PM

We looked at something like this.

One thing that comes up almost immediately when the service does *not* use fiber or conventional interconnections is how far apart can you get the users.

They don't appear to address this, but I'd be surprised if you could separate the users more than about ten feet or so. That means everybody's in the same room.

Are you *really * good friends with the other editor? Anybody cutting sound yet? Anybody have a pet snake? Anybody like talking on their cells while they edit?

Koz
July 18, 2005 05:48PM
14 ft is furthest away you can get

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics