Create offline (decompose) not working

Posted by abrunger 
Create offline (decompose) not working
July 04, 2005 06:50PM
I'm an Avid editor now learning Final Cut Pro. I have a FCP 5 with a Kona2 card. The offline editor has given me a sequence for online. I deleted the audio tracks, and am trying to get the source clips for recapture at the Kona res, but only the length actually used in the sequence, not the originally captured length.

I select just the sequence and open the Media Manager, select create offline, set my sequence preset to Kona2, DESELECT "Include master clips", select "Delete unused media" (almost all media is offline anyway), select Use handles of 1:00, DESELECT "Include affiliate clips", and proceed.

But it doesn't work. The new sequence and master clips are still master clips of several minutes in length (START-END), though a duration (IN-OUT) of only a few seconds. I've tried it a dozen times without success.

I also tried another suggestion of selecting all the clips in the timeline and dragging them to the bin, which also produces the longer clips, though more of them of course since there is one for time the master clip was used. Incidentally, these clips have scene markers, and the project came from an older system, probably 4.x.

I've studied the manual, Weynand's Avid2FCP book, and assorted web forums searching for the answer for a full day. What am I missing here? Thanks for any help!

Andre Brunger
Casablanca Magnetic North
Re: Create offline (decompose) not working
July 04, 2005 07:39PM
This is possibly a bug. There is a previous discussion about it here <[www.lafcpug.org];

There's also a workaround in the thread using batch export that worked for the original poster.
July 04, 2005 07:59PM
Thanks for any validation that i'm not crazy.

I don't see how batch export will help in this situation. I don't have media files to export. I just want to create offline clips.

Andre Brunger
July 05, 2005 07:58AM
that bug may not be applicable in this case. probably not.

there used to be a bug where FCP wouldnt trim (delete unused) offline clips.

that was fixed.

but it seems to be back.

testing this, i tried MMing an offline sequnce. (create Offline + Delete unused)

didnt work. the clips are all the original length

i also tried MMing a sequnce with media.

most shots trimmed ok, but shots with speed changes are wierd:

when i select them with the slip tool, i see a very long "ghost" as if it's the entire original clip, but if i go to capture it, it only wants a few seconds of media.
double clicking from the timeline into hte viewer also shows a very small section defined by in/outs, but it turns out this is a speed issue. the shot must be lowed down heaps, but the speed just says "variable" (it was 50% in the original seq)
it's too weird for me.

anyway,
can you get the editor to do the MM for you from the original sequnce with the media attatcehd?

nick

July 05, 2005 09:13AM
Sorry. Misread what you were trying to do. Nick is definitely the King of MM around here smiling smiley
July 05, 2005 10:50AM
>can you get the editor to do the MM for you from the original sequnce with the media attatcehd?

negative,
but a "nick meyers" has saved my bacon on the FCP-L Yahoo group. Thanks Nick!

Andre Brunger

Andre Brunger
July 05, 2005 05:33PM
Well it deffinitley is a BUG.
the same one that was in FCP3.0.

Sequnces cant be trimmed by MM unless there is media in them.

i exported the sequnce as XML and openend in 4.5
i don't know why, but for some reason the 4.5 sequnce stopped half
way thru, and only had one track.

anyway, it trimmed up ok in MM,
so i went back to 5, and exported XMLs for both the second half, and
the missing 2 tracks for the first half.

these came into 4.5 ok, then were trimmed, and the whole lot cobbled
back together in 5.

maybe whatever bug is stopping offline sequnce in FCP5 from being
trimmed caused the weirdness.

nick

hello Andre,

We are now experementing the same ''online batch capture'' from a ''offline sequence'' done on another FCP system.

The same problem as you: cannot have the new lenght used in the sequence but only the original lenght for all clips. (after any media manager work)

So, since you posted, did you find the solution? Tell me I will not have to digitise the original clips....please...

Thanks for any help

fabien
Per Nick, I think you have to either go back to the offline system where the media is still available, or to another 4.x system if the project is still compatible.

Generate the shortened clips and sequence there and bring them forward.

good luck,

Andre

August 12, 2005 06:14PM
or use XML to get your FCP5 off-line project into FCP4.

you might have to do it in stages (that;s what happened to me, but i dont know why)

here's an article on XML export / import:
[www.lafcpug.org]

cheers,
nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics