down-grade 5-4.5

Posted by frankpledge 
down-grade 5-4.5
August 30, 2005 09:45AM
hi all. i have to downgrade (after so carefully upgrading to match a different clients' version) to match the version of a client.

other than the guide posted on Apple in terms of taking FCP off your system, any other pitfalls anyone can think of off the top of their heads?? btw - XML 'workaround' will not do the trick. the company will not go for the headache. trust me, anything would go wrong via XML on their end, it will be an 'issue'. to boot, they are in LA and i am in NYC. (we have a great system going involving cloned drives)

i have FCP studio (new version) installed at the moment with tiger (updated) g5 2.5

should i take off the WHOLE studio? I only had FCP before so i have no other versions of motion/dvdsp etc. Tiger anyone? will it even RUN fcp4.5? i don't need compressor/soundtrack though if that helps...

please forgive me not doing a search for the 'answer' but i was hoping to get a more specific answer to this particular issue.

note to self: during the next round of the infamous LAFCPUG 'feature request' add the ability to 'save as' older version. one version down will suffice. i would even PAY for the feature...

thank you all!!!
fp
Re: down-grade 5-4.5
August 30, 2005 11:46AM
The simplest way to access both versions is to have two versions of the operating system on two drives or partitions.

I kept my Panther 10.3.7- 80 GB disk and replaced it with a 120 GB disk for Tiger. I then put that Panther disk into a Firewire case and now I can boot into FCPHD on Panther or FC Studio on Tiger.

No more messing around with the wrong version of FCP opening a project!
August 30, 2005 12:00PM
brilliant my friend! i can just make a firewire bootable!!!!

THIS is why i posted. thankyou thankyou!!

john = lifesaver

BRILLIANT!
fp
August 30, 2005 12:01PM
waitaminute! more brilliant! i made a clone of my old setup when i upgraded...I ALREADY have the solution!!

fp
September 01, 2005 01:19PM
btw - it's running incredibly well. i can NOT tell the difference so far (no graphics etc at this point)

cloning to FW 800 drive should be thought of as madantory for freelancers when upgrading so you can flip back and forth if need be. i just can't get over how great it works and how simple the whole process is.
fp
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics