Opinions on Lacie Two Big 1TB?

Hello

[www.lacie.com].

I am one of those lucky people who has never had a problem with Lacie FW drives (I own 5). I think this is rather interesting, but am curious to find out what other people think.

Michiel
Re: Opinions on Lacie Two Big 1TB?
March 06, 2006 04:32AM
I own the Lacie 1 TB and have had It for almost a year.

I love its size and speed over all happy with It
BUT...

It is a very constant noisy beast, and It runs noisy at night when its silent in the room people ask me what's that noise its somewhat annoying and if I had a choice which I hope to in the future.

I prefer to go with 2 / 500 gig drives for sure instead of the 1TB Just to loud.

And its not smooth or a consistent hum, its very hard to explain as if someone were sanding quickly back and fourth very lightly in another room.

NO not grinding And my drive does not sound like it is going bad.

Just a weird sound to explain.

Now they have a 2 TB i myself wont do it but sounds interesting.
Sadly id prefer to go with 4 /_500 GB drives.

GL

SL8UP
March 06, 2006 04:35AM
Correction its not a 2TB my mistake.

Seems this is a new SATA set up i have last years model.

SL8UP
March 06, 2006 05:02AM
The Avid Adrenalin RAID is so noisy it has to be kept in another room. I use Lacie Big Disk Extreme 1 tb and 2x500 gb and they work fine but FCP beachballs a little when pumping uncompressed 8 bit through an 8 pin firewire.
If they are all hunky dory the will pass the speed test.
Greg Kozikowski
March 06, 2006 11:34AM
We have two 4-drive, 1 TByte stacks. One of them crashed and we are waiting for a replacement case. Yes, case. We operate them RAID5 and one of the drives in one unit crashed and it didn't help when we put a spare drive in.

The case/motherboard is actually bad. Because of the RAID5, we were able to rescue all our data, but RAID5 means the stacks only provide 3/4 T space.

We are considering a spare stack in addition to the RAID5.

So if you need one stack, we recommend buying two and RAID them both.

Koz

March 06, 2006 11:34AM
In my experience, the bigger the Lacie drive, the more likely it is to go boom. I finished a job two weeks ago where I received a 1TB Lacie, just over a year old, that wouldn't mount, but a 200GB that was lying on my kitchen counter for a whole year mounted and was sent to the online without incident. (It probably helped that I edited the whole thing using my own Promax drive, and the Lacie was only used to copy files in final delivery to Atlanta)

Bottom line: I would never buy any Lacie, let alone one over 250GB. Too risky. Just read Phil's later post.
I'm having much better luck with FireWire 800 LaCie's, and I stick to one brand-- eve if they don't!! ;-)

My next storage solution will be SATA. Sonnet makes a nifty 3-drive holder called the G5 Jive for 100.00 which looks interesting. Anyone tried it?

Need a PCI-x host adapter for a couple hundred more, bare but SATA 300 GB are now available for under 200.00. So roughly a Terabyte of high speed striped runs around a grand these days, it seems. Sounds great for 720P.

[www.sonnettech.com]

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
March 06, 2006 02:18PM
If you've never had a problem with them... then why ask? GO FOR IT!

Here's my opinion:

GET A G-RAID

LaCie's are NOTORIOUS for slowing down as they fill up. G-Raid's stay more constant through 90% capacity. Do a search on Barefeats for the comparison.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

me stupid
March 07, 2006 07:13AM
Sorry, all of a sudden I realised that I asked people's opinions about a product that isn't even shipping yet...
My question was about the new Lacie 2Big 1TB, RAID system with SATA II (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10490)...now accepting pre-orders.
Sorry for the confusion.

Michiel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics