importing emailed quicktimes

Posted by Di 
Di
importing emailed quicktimes
March 27, 2006 12:51PM
Hello:
A friend wants to email me some quicktime movies to include in a project I am editing. Is there something specific they should do before sending? Is this even possible? I use FCP-HD quicktime version 7.0 and OSX 10.3.9 on a G-5.
Do they need to burn it to DVD rather than CD if they send a copy via snail mail?
Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Di

Re: importing emailed quicktimes
March 27, 2006 01:19PM
> Do they need to burn it to DVD rather than CD if they send a copy via snail
> mail?

How much footage are you talking about? If it's a CD, you won't get more than about 3 minutes of DV-quality QuickTime movies on a CD. A DVD can hold about 20 minutes. Files of this size would be nearly impossible to e-mail -- you'll need to use some kind of FTP service, either a website or a server, and even then it would take a long time. They should send you a tape or a drive. Unless you're willing to let them compress the files a great deal before sending to you, in which case the footage will look like crap.
i cant think of ANY email service other than those that MH has mentioned (yousendit - or whatever its called) that will allow any email attachments over say 10-20 megs of so.

if you have the knowledge - FTP is the way to go if the total is around 2gigs or less. anything more than that and youre looking at CRAZY long times to transfer.

this is why God created fedex
March 27, 2006 02:27PM
Even www.yousendit.com has a 1GB upper limit per transfer...and a 1GB file would take a really long time to upload. That's only five minutes of footage at DV quality.
Di
March 27, 2006 04:43PM
Thanks for the quick responses. You confirmed my thoughts--too much time to download and questionable quality. I'm going with the postal service.
Thanks again!
Di
March 29, 2006 10:09AM
You could always have your friend send you a compressed copy to use while you wait for the snail mail copy if you don't want to disrupt your work flow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics