still frame DVD

Posted by razorbabyy 
still frame DVD
April 13, 2006 11:27AM
Our client would like just a still frame of their logo looping on a DVD. No moves or anything. My workflow is this:

Import into FCP, make a 30 min timeline export a quicktime. Drag into compressor, make a mpeg 2 and drag that into DVDSP 4 and burn a looped DVD.

The logo looks pretty ratty-not crisp at all. I tried importing hte logo directly into the menu as a background and that looked even worse! Any suggestions as to the best way to do this?
Re: still frame DVD
April 13, 2006 12:08PM
> I tried importing hte logo directly into the menu as a background and that
> looked even worse!

What are the specs of the graphic/still file you're using?
April 13, 2006 12:24PM
compressor is ONE of your problems - skip it. just export a reference movie (not recompressed, not standalone) and bring that into dvdspro.

but as derek asked. what format is the original logo? remember - garbage in, garbage out...
April 13, 2006 12:47PM
It's about a 175 kb jpeg. It looks fine in final cut. Not aliased at all...

I'll go ahead and try dropping a reference movie into DVDSP.
April 13, 2006 01:13PM
> It's about a 175 kb jpeg. It looks fine in final cut. Not aliased at all...

Uh uh uh uh uh.

Of course it looks bad. A single still exported from a DV NTSC movie is 1MB, at 720x480, 72dpi

Get a better graphic file from your client. There's no rescuing this one.
April 13, 2006 04:02PM
Final Cut only shows you one television field of the two in an exported frame. The two fields in a frame are separated in time and if there was any motion in the scene, it will appear smeared.

You can tell what's going on inside Final Cut buy forcing the Canvas to be 100% with the little tab at the top. Then pull the canvas window bigger and bigger until there is a little gray around the edges of the scene. When you stop the motion of the playhead, the canvas will show you both fields and all the smearing that comes with it.

Koz

April 14, 2006 02:14PM
Why don't you just drop the still image in to DVDSP as the background menu image? If there are no effects on the logo (lens flare, motion, etc.) and it's just sitting there then forget the step of making it a movie file first. Set the menu duration to maximum; I don't think you would even see a glitch at the looping point .

JK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics