Mono vs Stereo

Posted by Tony19 
Mono vs Stereo
March 10, 2006 12:33AM
Some of captured video are in stereo some are in two channeled mono. Does this mean I captured them incorrectly? I don't recall changing the settings when capturing.
Re: Mono vs Stereo
March 10, 2006 01:12AM
it does happen..

you can make the 2Ch Mono clips Stereo again once they are in the timeline.
select them and Option L to Link as stereo pair.

you can drag ALL the 2Ch mono clips to a timeline, make them stereo, then drag them back to a new bin.
then you'll be working with the stereo versions.
i think, tho, that you'll pull up the 2ch mono version if you do a match frame from the timeline sad smiley

nick

March 10, 2006 01:33AM
You can also disconnected the already captured clips (SHIFT-D, WITHOUT Moving media to Trash or Deleting), select the offline clips, modify the Audio column to Stereo (CONTROL-click on the Audio part and choose Stereo in FCP4, or Modify - Clip Settings in FCP5), then reconnect the clips. They *should* reconnect as stereo and you wouldn't have to deal with that anymore.
March 10, 2006 01:38AM
cool. thanks much!
March 10, 2006 03:09AM
that's right!... what was i thinking!

nick
April 05, 2006 08:29PM
I've had some issues that I thikn are related to this 'work-around'. I followed what was instructed above, and it seems that I continue to have audio problems with those clips.

I noticed that if I import those specific clips into another project, they are still mono on the quicktime file. To solve that, I followed the steps again and exported these clips as stereo fcp quicktime files. Will I have any problems relinking these clips to the original project with my already cut sequences?
April 05, 2006 09:20PM
> Will I have any problems relinking these clips to the original project with my
> already cut sequences?

I suspect so. Different files mean different data is stored on different sectors. What kind of audio problems are we talking about? The relinking method has always worked just fine for me.

If you do find the method suspect, a better way to approach it would be to use Nick's earlier suggestion -- use OPTION-L to stereo-link the dual-channel mono audio clips.
April 06, 2006 12:28AM
neither method changes the file, just the way FCP "displays" it.

so if you DO bring in the master file again, it will be 2Ch mono.

or you could open the original project and copy them across. then they'll be stereo.

the export reconnect thing should work without any hitch,
as long as you keep the SAME NAMES and the SAME DURATION.
did the original files have a reel#?
if so, you need to export as QT Movies, same settings, audio only.

the only hic-up i see is that the clips might STILL come in as 2Ch mono.
(not when you reconnect, but if you import them)
iv'e nothing to back this up, tho', so all might be well.

cheers,
nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics