Can you make FCP run while surfing the net?

Posted by Luie 
Can you make FCP run while surfing the net?
March 11, 2006 11:26PM
Is there any way I can make the playhead run and surf the net, write an email, or do other tasks while the playhead is still running?

Im listening to hours of footage and only making markers and cut edits. But id love write some notes while its happening and maybe send out some emals or surf the net if possible.

I know it runs somewhat ok whille loading. I can do other things and rendering but not while playing.

Can it be done?

Thank you.

SL8UP
Re: Can you make FCP run while surfing the net?
March 12, 2006 02:49AM
Nope.

Sorry.
get yourself an older cheap pc laptop for that. i have a 700mhz old gateway laptop that i use for precisely THAT kind of thing...
March 12, 2006 09:23AM
> I'm listening to hours of footage and only making markers and cut edits. But
> id love write some notes while its happening and maybe send out some
> emals or surf the net if possible.

Use QuickTime Player to watch the footage. QuickTime Player can play movies and files in the background while you switch to another active application; Final Cut Pro can't. But if you're trying to use markers, log notes etc. at the same time, then same answer as the two guys above -- no dice.
March 12, 2006 12:53PM
hummm I think that would be a powerful feature if FCP did it.

Thank you guys.

SL8UP
yeah, kinda sems like a no-brainer??? every other app can run in the background...
March 12, 2006 07:16PM
I think the point is, if you aren't watching the video, why play it? FCP might be designed to stop playback when you are doing something else...because, well, you aren't paying attention.

And the solution has already been given...play the raw quicktimes from the Capture Scratch folder. What's the problem with that? Every edit system has work arounds.
March 12, 2006 11:15PM
Other apps CANNOT run in the background to the point where you can listen to ftg and lay markers while something else is active in the foreground...no way. When you bring another program forward (Text Edit, Firefox, etc.), THAT is the only active program at the time (even though something else may be playing in the background). You may be able to hear another program in the background, but you will never be able to interact with it while something else is running in the foreground.

Only option - get a laptop to sit next to your desktop monitor.

Sorry sad smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Greg Kozikowski
March 13, 2006 04:15PM
Still, OSX/UNIX is a Multi-User, Multi-Tasking operating system. It was a concious decision on Apple's part to disallow it for Final Cut--I'm guessing because it's so dangerous.

You can run and listen to the Audacity Audio Editor at the same time you surf the web.

If you open a Terminal Window and type "top", you will be given a listing of only some of the things that are running on your machine at the same time. Most UNIX machines are busy little bees.

Control-C to quit and then close the window.

At this company it's universal that you bring your iBook/PowerBook with you into the edit suite. I don't think we're unique.

Koz

March 13, 2006 10:55PM
"......play the raw quicktimes from the Capture Scratch folder. What's the problem with that? Every edit system has work arounds."

You can't set FCP markers in a QT (which the original poster mentions he wants to be able to do).

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics