Long Import Times for P2 footage?

Posted by lanceedmands 
Long Import Times for P2 footage?
July 28, 2006 02:54PM
Hey,

I'm importing HDX P2 footage from an external HD into FCP and it seems to take like 45min-1hr for each 8 gig card to import, which seems a little long. Most people have told me that they import in real-time. I have a lot of footage to deal with, so if there is a glitch in my settings which are causing the long import times, I would appreciate it if someone pointed them out. What might be the problem?

Thanks,

-Lance.

Re: Long Import Times for P2 footage?
July 28, 2006 03:19PM
That's not right Lance. No way should it take that long. That being said, at Wednesday's SF Cutters meeting we talked about P2 workflow and one of my members had the same problem. Hmmm.....tell us more about your system and the exact method you used to import from P2.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 28, 2006 03:21PM
It should take you 8-10 min.

Yes, let us know your workflow. And...have you seen this tutorial:

[forums.creativecow.net]
July 28, 2006 03:28PM
Thanks for writing back.

Yes, I have seen the tutorial. I am importing from an external firewire HD which has media that was copied from the P2 in the field. The external drive has a folder for each card with the "contents" folder and "Lastclip" file. I am importing them from this external HD just as I would from a P2 card. Its taking a really long time (30-45min). My capture scratch is an internal HD and I will eventually copy this converted QT media to an external terrabyte HD to work from.
July 28, 2006 03:35PM
What is the format of the drive you are importing them to? Why aren't you going right from the field drive to your media drive?

Try one clip at a time for a few...are they still taking forever?
July 28, 2006 03:42PM
Hey-

Not totally sure what the format of the drive i am importing from- but I'm assuming its mac formatted since we're all FCP. I can't import directly from the P2 since the shoot is on the west coast and I am in NYC (drive was FedEx'ed). One clip at a time seems to go the same speed. Still very slow.

-Lance.

Post Edited (07-28-06 13:53)
July 28, 2006 04:02PM
lanceedmands wrote:

> but I'm assuming its mac formatted since we're all FCP.

Hmmm....you know what happens when you "assume". ;-)

Could be that they picked it up from Fry's and in a hurry, did not initialize the drive before copying the media over.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 28, 2006 04:17PM
No, it was formatted correctly. We have a P2 tech on site who manages all this media. I spoke with him on the phone and he was stumped. Thought someone here might have had a similar problem and figured it out.
July 28, 2006 05:41PM
Have you tried:

a) Copying the media to another disk location before importing?
b) Making a new project file to import into?
c) Running DiskWarrior on the external hard drive?
d) Checking to see if there are other FireWire devices connected to the computer, and disconnecting them?
e) Taking your editing station off network before attempting the import?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics