OT: Popsicle Raid Redeux

Posted by Shane Ross 
OT: Popsicle Raid Redeux
August 09, 2006 08:08PM
With all this talk of the new Mac Pro and the 4 internal drives that can be raided for uncompressed HD...and where would you install the OS...I have to bring up my Popsicle Raid again. My machine has 6 internal drives. 2.5TB total.

I bring it up because, well, as Joe predicted (http://www.lafcpug.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=124003&t=123957#reply_124003), the rubber bands started failing. I discovered this when I heard a "clunk" inside my G5 as the band snapped and the drive under the optical hit the metal.

So I had to think of another solution. Here is my solution:

www.LFHD.net
Re: OT: Popsicle Raid Redeux
August 09, 2006 10:07PM
I didn't predict it. I simply stated a fact that heat kills rubber & that rig WILL fall apart. You fought me tooth and nail that this solution was a winner winking smiley

I just hope nothing inside was damaged, Shane.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 09, 2006 10:12PM
Nope...everything was fine.

And I agreed that the rubber bands were a stop-gap measure. Now that I have them screwed into place...this feels permanent.
August 09, 2006 10:14PM
Good to hear = no damage smiling smiley

NO MORE RUBBER BANDS 4 U!!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 09, 2006 10:35PM
Shane,

This is a no fail 3 drive with cooler setup in my Quad.

[www.maxupgrades.com]

August 09, 2006 10:58PM
Don't know about you, but sounds like backup time to me. Just because there's no damage apparent now doesn't mean there isn't something hidden.
August 09, 2006 11:16PM
John, that is a nice product. Good call. I might have to get that assembly with the fan in the future. I am also thinking of yanking my second internal drive and adding another 500GB hitachi and adding that to the Raid for a 5 drive raid.

Derek...what is on it is the backup of a G-Raid that is in the shop, and due back Friday. It better hold out until then...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics