Dropping a sequence into a sequence

Posted by Mike Watson 
Dropping a sequence into a sequence
September 22, 2006 01:05PM
I'm posting my first 30 minute show. I'm mostly a TV-commercial and TV-news guy.

I have four sequences that I'm dropping into one sequence. Adding titles overtop of them, and adding bumps in and out of the segments.

When my original sequence (well call it Sequence One) is dropped in to the Final Show sequence, some of the effects disappear at points. For instance, in Sequence 1, if I dissolve to a shot that I do a slow-push in (using motion effects), it works, except the dissolve in and out don't have the slow push. (So, it's dissolve, shot pushes in, then jump back to the un-zoomed ratio for the dissolve out.)

This doesn't happen inside Seq 1, it works fine. I've killed my render files and re-rendered. It still happens.

When I output to quicktime, it works fine.

Unfortunately, everytime I make a change inside the sequence, I have to re-export to QT, and it takes forever.

Why is this happening?
Re: Dropping a sequence into a sequence
September 22, 2006 02:56PM
Anyone?

Bueller.... Bueller....
September 22, 2006 03:18PM
I think what you might be missing is sending a nested sequence to another sequence.

If you are using clips with effects added, the effects are local to that sequence. If you would copy and paste that sequence into another sequence, those effects would not go across because the new sequence is using a different set of render files.

Then again, maybe there is a diffferent way.
September 22, 2006 03:32PM
Hmm. How would I go about sending a nested sequence into another sequence?
September 22, 2006 04:21PM
Drag it from the Browser into the new sequence.

www.derekmok.com
September 22, 2006 04:40PM
I've tried that. I've also tried dragging it into the Viewer, and then copying it in. The same thing still happens.

And, regarding my post, I see two options:

1) Everyone understands the problem I'm describing, but doesn't know how to fix it, so no one is responding,

or,

2) My description is unclear, and people don't know what I'm talking about, so they don't know what advice to offer.

Can someone pony up and tell me which of these is more likely?
September 22, 2006 10:37PM
I think the problem is that it's not normal behaviour and we're trying to think of what might be causing it. I nest sequences into a compile sequence on two shows a week and I've never seen that.

Is it only Motion movements that are causing the hiccups? Can you open a new project and try a test in a clean sequence?
September 23, 2006 01:21AM
It is only the "zooms" (editing created zooms) that are bookended by dissolves that cause the problem.

I later tried dropping the sequences into a new project, and the same problem still occurs.

However, if I export the sequence into a quicktime movie -- even one that's not self contained -- I don't have this problem.

I'm stumped.
September 23, 2006 02:28AM
The fact that a QuickTime output bypasses this issue makes me think it's a render issue. Have you already dumped render files? Disconnected and then reconnected the media? Pasted the clips into another sequence?

www.derekmok.com
September 23, 2006 10:12PM
I've dumped and re-rendered twice. It was my first thought as well. The strangest part -- the part that seems to disprove every theory -- is that it plays fine inside the original sequence.

I have not disconnected and recconected, nor pasted all the clips in a new seq, but I will try it Monday.

Thanks for the advice.

-MW
September 26, 2006 12:23PM
I am having the same problem. I have a 1 hour 10 minute sequence that is made up of 12 shorter sequences. I have short Motion generated titles transitioning out of and into each sequence.

The 12 nested seq's are on V1 and A1, A2, the Motion proj files are on V2 and overlap each of the nested. Really pretty straitforward.

I get the exact same behavior...but, only on certain of the nested sequences.

The original sequence is fine, it is only within the nested sequence that this behavior takes place. Sometimes I can get it to go away by double clicking the nested sequence which opens the original sequence, it plays perfectly, saving, going back to the nested sequence, saving.

But, the behavior is unpredictable and maddening.

PM

I have a 2x2g PPC, 5G RAMM, OS 10.4.7, FCP 5.1.1, 2x400 LaCie SATA drives striped into RAID
September 26, 2006 01:38PM
I have a question- its hapening Even with nestd sequences? try exproting your nested items as a QT the re-import to new sequence- thats a pretty ghetto workaround...
September 26, 2006 03:51PM
The strange behavior only happens within my master sequence, that one that contains all the nested sequences. When I shoot out a QT the QT movie plays fine.

But, this is really weird. I was going around in circles last night trying to figure out what was going on...trying playback on desktop only no firewire out, tossed FCP preferences, rebooted in safe mode, repaired permissions, ran tech tool pro, set fire to the neighbor's cat, ...

Until I saw this thread I figured I was going to have to have someone come over and check my whole set-up...so, its obvious to me that this is something that needs to be addressed by Apple. It only happens during playback within the nested sequence.

What we are seeing during playback is not actually what is going on, and you can't find that out unless you shoot out a QT...but, having to do a workaround for something that should just work within the software (playback within a sequence) is unacceptable.

PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics