FCP 24p Capture

Posted by Jesse 
FCP 24p Capture
March 22, 2006 01:27AM
Camera Captured video on a DVX 100a at 24pa. Audio on a Fostex fr2 at 48khz. I imported both video and audio seperately. I am having a problem editting them on the time line. They go out of sinc on there own. What have I done wrong?

jesse
Anonymous User
Re: FCP 24p Capture
March 22, 2006 02:06AM
What are your sequence settings? Are you capturing your 24PA footage into a 29.97 timline?

March 22, 2006 04:35AM
yes thats what the book tells me to do.

jesse
Anonymous User
March 22, 2006 10:59AM
So how you syncing this? You absolutly sure the audio is 48khz? Did you check the item properties? You capturing across TC breaks?

March 22, 2006 02:05PM
all DVX-100a's have an audio problem, that causes the audio to go out of sync. You need to download a tool (I forgot where I found mine, but it's a fairly standard plug-in that you should be able to google search), mine is called "offset audio synch" and you basically just highlite the captured footage in your bin and most of the time it tells you how much it is offset and you just click "OK", and it's fixed, sometimes you have to play with it which is a major headache of course.

The reason it gets offset is because FCP is removing video frames in order to do the whole "advance pulldown", but it doesn't remove the audio frames correctly, it's not so much a glitch as it is a technology ceiling, where they just haven't figured out how to make the audio and video work together on that cheap of a format.

I just finished an entire feature on the DVX-100a in FCP5, and I would suggest shooting in regular mode, not advanced, and just editing at 29.97 to avoid many more headaches to come, unless you are going to film or some other 24p format in the end, in which case maybe it's worth it to you.

good luck,
Ty
March 23, 2006 01:12PM
The offset audio sync is included with the FCP install disk. It's designed to correct the fact that Panasonic cameras record the audio 2 frames ahead of the video! I have found this plugin to be completely unreliable. I just resync the audio in FCP and make new sync clips.

All that said, if you are seeing/hearing sync drift - that's a whole other issue. When FCP removes the extra frames - it does not change the speed of the clip. One second is still one second, instead of 29.97 frames, it's now 23.98 frames, but it is still running at the same 'speed' in terms of time. No audio frames are removed. In fact, there is no such thing as audio frames.

Not sure what is causing your sync drift. I just finished working on Reno 911 - Miami - we shot varicam HD and recorded auudio with a Fostex PD-6. We also experienced sync drift when we should have been in sync.

Once we changed the word clock on the Fostex to external and fed it the sync signal from the camera, we were all fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics