Timecode 23.98 & 29.97 issues

Posted by Bryan 
Timecode 23.98 & 29.97 issues
March 22, 2006 11:20AM
I am trying to export a 29.97 version of my 23.98 timeline movie for my sound mixer, sound effects person and my composer. The problem is that they need timecode generated at 29.97 for their timelines in pro-tools. I have generated a 29.97 window burn that I believe is keeping accurate time. The problem is, the QT I export is calculating the project at a 24 frame rate and is telling me it's 3 minutes short (of an 18 minute reel). In the 29.97 window burn export, it is 3 minutes longer (at 18 minutes). Is this correct? My mixer is also telling me the countdown leader to the sync pop should be at 6 seconds. In the 23.98 window burn it is -- but in the 29.97 window burn he needs it's not, it's at 5 seconds and 17 frames. Am I doing it right and the mixer is confused? Or do I give him a 23.98 window burn which won't match up with his 29.97 pro-tools window (I did this once before and my mixer got confused with the extra six frames the 23.98 swallowed up). Regardless of what we do, will it always run at the same speed, just the time code numbers will be different from a 23.98 and a 29.97 window burn?

Bryan

I had alot of trouble doing the same thing you are doing, FCP tells you it is exporting a 29.97 window burn on your 23.98 timeline, but doesn't necessarily do it right. I had the best luck exporting a regular quicktime of my project (it should come out 23.98), importing that into a new project, dropping it on a 29.97 timeline, rendering the entire thing, exporting that (it should now export at 29.97), bringing the 29.97 quicktime back into another new 29.97 project, dropping it into another 29.97 timeline, and finally putting the 29.97 window burn onto that timeline and exporting the window-burn version for the last time as a quicktime.

Sounds ridiculous right? I agree, nonetheless it took me about a day and a half of trying and that was the only workable way I came up with. I kept doing the same thing you are doing, sending the audio guys (who need 29.97 to work in Pro-tools) a window-burn that FCP was telling me was correct, but that they kept telling me was wrong. I thought they were insane until I went over there and checked it out for myself and low and behold it wasn't a 29.97 window-burn.

I guarantee there's an easier way, probably not using FCP, but with FCP, that one will definitely work.

Have fun,
Ty
Re: Timecode 23.98 & 29.97 issues
March 23, 2006 09:26AM
I've done 4 35mm feature films on FCP and each time I turned over reels to sound, we stayed 23.98. Why go 29.97?

Tell your sound editors to set their pro tools session for 23.98 frame rate, 24 fps time code. Give them a 23.98 QT file with a 24 t/c burn. Mix to 23.98.

23.98 runs at the same pull down speed as 29.97 - the difference is with 23.98 you see the exact film frames and with 29.97 you have mixed video frames.

But if this superior workflow wigs everyone out then do this:

1] Make a 29.97 sequence
2] Copy and paste the 23.98 sequence into the 29.97 timeline (you can't drag and drop - you get and error message about different time bases - so copy and paste)
3] Nest the 29.97 sequence
4] Drop a time code reader filter on the nest and set for 29.97
5] Export

This will produce a 29.97 sequence with 29.97 time code. The sequence will play back as AA BB CC DD DD - every 4th frame is repeated twice. If you want the correct 3:2 cadence use Nattress Standards Converter for a proper AA BB BC CD DD 3:2.

But like I said, working 23.98 is vastly superior and your sound editors will love it if they give it a try. Working 29.97 is old - you had to work that way when we were cutting 29.97 and laying off to NTSC tape and redigitizing into Pro Tools.

Why replicate that inferior workflow? These digital machines work at 23.98 - stay at that rate.

Show this post to your sound editors. If they have questions, they can contact me. This process works flawlessly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics