d'oh, editing out a sound

Posted by Adam 
d'oh, editing out a sound
March 23, 2006 11:23AM
Apparently there was a little bit of electronic interference during certain times on my last shoot. I'm hearing a kind of low-pitched electronic hum (vvvvvhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzz) in the background and was wondering if anybody here could steer me in the general direction of identifying the tool I would use to try and eliminate it.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice here.

-Adam
Re: d'oh, editing out a sound
March 23, 2006 11:26AM
Compressor has a tool for locating and elimitating electrical hum.
Greg Kozikowski
March 23, 2006 12:14PM
Can't Sound Track Pro do that, too?

If you have a buzz and not hum, that means all the harmonics of 60 (assuming you're in the US) are in there, too, 180, 240, 480, etc.. Some of them are coincident with the human voice which can start around 300. When you take it all out, you could have odd sounding voices. Test carefully on good speakers or headphones.

This is not a good place for $14 computer speakers.

Koz

March 23, 2006 12:19PM
Oh, whoops, I meant STP, not Compressor.
March 23, 2006 02:43PM
Depending on your sound, you might take a listen to the high mids and high frequencies as well. Lowering those can help alleviate the "attack" of certain noises and make them less noticeable.
Greg Kozikowski
March 23, 2006 03:05PM

However, with all that, you are going to have to damage the track in order to suck the interference out. If the buzz is sharp enough, you may lose the ability of the humans to say the "s" sound.

Sound is a lot harder than it seems.

Koz
March 23, 2006 03:40PM
> Sound is a lot harder than it seems.

I got this directive from a producer one time:

"We didn't have a sound guy for this shoot. I was too far from the camera to monitor the sound. Oh, by the way, the final product has to have pristine broadcast sound. And here's a video DVD you can use as a sound source."

Hello...?
Greg Kozikowski
March 23, 2006 08:23PM

<<< And here's a video DVD you can use as a sound source.">>>

Which you captured through two Rado Shack analog cables and a clip lead.

Works for me.

I walked into the MacMall in Torrance to buy something and I wandered over to the Large Screen Displays which were playing a ball game at least 1/2 second off lip sync.

Oh, and I want the Final Cut filter that makes everything Hi Def. You know, tall and skinny or short and fat.

Koz
You might try sound soap. I've used a few times and it can be a big help.

Best
Chet Simmons
Las Vegas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics