Compressor or FCP or DVDSP question?

Posted by Ryan T 
Compressor or FCP or DVDSP question?
October 23, 2006 02:06PM
I am having some problems exporting mpeg 2 files that I have never had before and I am completely baffled.

My process goes like this:

-I am using an AJA IO to capture my project using the10 bit uncompress codec.

-I edit 6, 30 sec. spots all using the same settings. I lay off all 6 spots to tape with no problems. Everything looks great.

-I now need to make a DVD for the client.

-I export self contained QuickTime files using the 10 bit uncompressed codec.

-I drop these files into compressor and encode MPEG2 files using the Apple preset 90 minutes best quality setting.

-I then put these files into DVDSP and make a simple menu and finally burn a DVD.

The result is that 3 of the spots come out looking good all the time, 2 sometimes come out looking good, and 1 spot always comes out looking bad.

What I mean by bad is the video has a very pronounced flicker/strobe to it.

I have tried multiple different settings inside of compressor both apple presets and my own. I have tried putting the 10 bit files directly into DVDSP and encoding using variable bit rate, constant bit rate, auto field dominance, lower field dominance and upper field dominance.

If I play the mpeg2 files in QuickTime they look great. If I play the final DVD in my computer they look great. If I play the final DVD on a set top box the flicker is very pronounced, so I am thinking it is some sort of interlacing problem.

This has happened on a couple separate projects now and I cannot figure out any pattern. I guess I am just looking for some suggestions of places to look for possible problems.

Thanks,
Ryan
Re: Compressor or FCP or DVDSP question?
October 23, 2006 02:20PM
have you tried exporting your sequences directly from FCP into compressor w/o going to qt first?

as far as your settings:

you should stay a variable bit rate no higher then 8 (recommend 6) with an .ac3 audio file
your field order needs to stay lower first with video coming out of FCP.

Have you done any filtering or motion effects to your last sequence (where you get your flicker effect)?

J
October 23, 2006 02:22PM
I've had this exact problem.

> have you tried exporting your sequences directly from FCP into compressor w/o going to qt
> first?

The solution that worked for me is completely the opposite. Export as self-contained QuickTime movies at Uncompressed 10-bit SD. Don't go to Compressor; simply import those into DVD Studio Pro and make the DVD. I couldn't nail down why those particular shows had this problem (I've been editing Uncompressed 10-bit SD on the same system at work for a while; only one commercial -- four versions with only audio and subtitling differences -- had this problem.), but the above method produced DVDs just fine.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2006 11:00AM
Derek,

Yes,I have tried going 10 bit quicktime directly into DVDSP. This is part of the thing that is confusing me. I was originaly having problems with 3 out of 6 spots. Going directly into DVDSP fixed 2 of thouse 3, but I am still haveing problems with one spot. I just can't figure out a pattern.

Ryan
October 24, 2006 11:04AM
> Going directly into DVDSP fixed 2 of thouse 3, but I am still haveing problems with one spot.

In FCP, cross-check the media settings (APPLE-9) and the sequence settings (APPLE-0) exhaustively. Don't forget field dominance and frame rates.

Try putting that defective movie file into another Uncompressed 10-bit timeline, re-export, and see if the problem is still there.

Also, try duplicating one of the timelines that didn't fail. Erase everything from it, then paste all the cuts from the defective timeline into it. Render, export.

If all else fails, use Media Manager to create a whole new 10-bit offline sequence, re-capture (don't replace the original media -- choose a new location), re-export.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2006 11:07AM
go to tape then digitize back into FCP then try maybe something is just goofy.... I doubt the cilent will be able to tell the difference

-D
October 24, 2006 11:33AM
> I doubt the cilent will be able to tell the difference

If the problems Ryan is having look anything like what I'd had when I saw this problem, it would be undeliverable. And very obvious even to amateur eyes.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2006 11:46AM
oh well.. it was worth a shot....

when it comes down to it if it looks like poop then that is not a solution...

-D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics