wmv converted to mov (quicktime)

Posted by blue11d1 
wmv converted to mov (quicktime)
March 24, 2006 01:20AM
HELP!!!! It's been a full f**king day of searching. Most probably because I'm a novice professional.?

So, I have these files in wmv format on my pc and need to edit them in final cut pro. I downloaded the flip4mac trial program but I have quicktime v. 6.4 and flip4mac requires 6.5 or better. So now I have to buy quicktime when I have quicktime and I don't want to have to spend all that cash. I'm willing, however to buy a program that fixes my problem but not two programs. It would be even nicer if there was one simple free program that one of you professional professionals could help me get so I could convert these stinking wmv files to mov files.

Wouldn't it be great if you could select SAVE AS and then simply change the file type like word documents on PCs.

help
thanks
Re: wmv converted to mov (quicktime)
March 24, 2006 02:47AM
Quicktime Pro 7 is only $29.99, cheaper than ANY utility out there that will "fix" your problem. If you are heading in the professional direction, purchasing QT7 should not be an issue as the job you are currently working would pay for QT in the first hour.

Besides, you said that you searched a full day for an alternative to buying QT7 for $30. Well, a full day is at least 8 hrs, and if you are charging a modest $40/hr, you actually cost yourself $320 - $30 = $290! And, if you spent more than 8 hrs searching... well, you can do the math. Time to buy a solution that you know will work and actually make some money! :-)

My 2 cents...

Ta

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
March 24, 2006 02:56AM
QT 6.4 can be updated to 6.5 without a cost. Only the major upgrades 6 - 7 cost. Flip4Mac is about the best choice for converting WMV to Quicktime that I know about.
March 24, 2006 08:07AM
> Quicktime Pro 7 is only $29.99

WHOOAAAA! QuickTime 7 is NOT an upgrade you'd want to do lightly, and especially not in the middle of a project. This version is infamous for being prone to making your Final Cut Pro misbehave, especially if you're using FCP4.5. If your FCP is working with QuickTime 6, you should not be upgrading to QuickTime 7 unless you're between projects.

I'd say go John's route. The QuickTime 6.5 upgrade should be free, and if you stay with QuickTime 6, you shouldn't have major issues. Also, get the full version of Flip4Mac. It's a hugely useful tool, and allows you to go both ways -- WMV to QuickTime, or vice versa.

That said, you can also make WMVs using AfterEffects. I don't know what the commands are (don't know AfterEffects), but I know for a fact it can be done.
I would like to point out that QT is extremely tricky- I bought QT Pro 6 when it came out- upgraded some things via "free" internet download including, I thought, QT Pro to 7 but it ERASED my Pro 6 and REPALCED it with QT 7 read only. A totally USEless "upgrade" so now I have to BUY IT AGAIN. NOTHING is free- Apple and Mac are both tricky, underhanded, don't want to give you your warrenty when you have it either kind of companies. There is a problem with importing things into FCP 4(what we have) if you haven't upgraded to QT7. bastards are in cahoots. there's a fix I forget- I'll go look.
March 24, 2006 09:15AM
Sorry if I misspoke Derek, but I have been using QT7 for sometime, and I have not had any bad experiences. In fact I love the new upgrade! You can now capture video directly in QT for one.

That being said, I am running FC Studio - had to for my Quad - so maybe that is the difference.

Again, sorry for any confusion. I thought I was giving good advice.

Ta.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

Agree - flip4mac is way to go

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC QUESTION - where did timecode reader go in QUICKTIME 7?

In QT 6x...you could call up movie properties ...pull down the video track and select timecode that would read timecode on screen in a separate window when viewing clips in Quicktime player...

Excellent for logging tapes on the same computer - put quicktime and that windown in background - open word....play type away - something you CAN NOT do within final cut pro

NOW with quicktime 7 - no more ability to call up timecode in the player - unless I've missed its location - anyone know? Thanks Andy
March 24, 2006 09:23AM
> where did timecode reader go in QUICKTIME 7?

Ah yes. Nick and Jude spoke about this one. There was a recent thread about it and they've found an alternative called QTSync:

[www.lafcpug.org]
But why oh why take this function away from QT 7? and that QT Sync needs you to manually put in the first frame of time code - so if there are any breaks - you are off in logging the tape

Frankly I just use qt 6 player to log my tapes - this seems like a no brainer for apple to have dropped the ball with this!
March 24, 2006 02:52PM
I found it in the info window - Cmd-I

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

March 24, 2006 08:22PM
thanks for your help, but I'm stuck again. I got the Quicktime update installed it and now I'm having trouble with the flip4mac demo. I'm just trying to run a test to see how the wmv plays on flip4mac but it won't read the flippin file. The message I'm getting is that this is not a file that Quicktime understands.

help
thanks
March 24, 2006 08:28PM
Re Timecode in quicktime player - argghghg frustrating - if you hit cmd I - you get a window that only gives you the current run time of the video - not the ACTUAL time code on the clip....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics