FCP5 won't launch w/Camera attached

Posted by jimbrady 
FCP5 won't launch w/Camera attached
October 31, 2006 11:27AM
My issue is very similar to this one from a year ago, but that one hit a dead end: [www.lafcpug.org]

Ken Stone suggested asking you guys so here goes:

Eternal spinning beachball if my Sony TRV-900 is attached and on (VTR) during launch of FCP5. Turning off the cam ends the lock-up. Log & Capture brings a "no device found" error even though I've then turned on the cam again. Dual 2.5 G5, 10.4.8

I've trashed prefs, dumped QT receipts and re-installed QT 7.1.3

Getting desperate.
Re: FCP5 won't launch w/Camera attached
October 31, 2006 11:36AM
Tried another Firewire port? Tried another camera/deck? Another FW cable?

How are you opening FCP? Is this a new project? If not a new project, try creating a new one and see if FCP can see the camera. Might give us a clue.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 31, 2006 12:17PM
What Mike said. Also, are you using a FireWire drive at the same time? Are you daisy-chaining the camera to the drive?

If you have any other FireWire devices -- mixers, drives, anything -- hooked up at the same time, try taking them out.

www.derekmok.com
October 31, 2006 02:29PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What Mike said. Also, are you using a FireWire
> drive at the same time? Are you daisy-chaining
> the camera to the drive?
>
> If you have any other FireWire devices -- mixers,
> drives, anything -- hooked up at the same time,
> try taking them out.

Thanks to you both--my problem has disappeared after a very distressing episode where the Finder froze, and wouldn't start again after re-launching. One of my firewire drives (the Cam has its own separate port, BTW) was making an unnatural whine so I went to unmount it, and the act of selecting it in the Finder froze the Finder. Re-launching Finder didn't work. You can't restart without use of the Finder. I did a hard re-boot into safe mode, restarted again normally, and (having powered off the whiny FW drive) started FCP with full use of my cam.

This would seem all tidy except for the fact, I wasn't using the whiny FW drive when this all started.

Well, good to be back up, I guess this issue will remain partially mysterious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics