Seemingly Simple Sound Problem

Posted by Kozikowski 
Seemingly Simple Sound Problem
November 03, 2006 12:15PM
It used to be impossible to conform a sound track created in 24.00 fps to a different show at 23.98--at least without a lot of extra eye of newt. Pick any two close frame rates. It doesn' t have to be those two.

I'm after the digital verson of holding your finger on the Nagra reels to slow them down to match a 24-frame film projected at 23.98. (I know you can't actually hold your finger on the reel, work with me here.)

Koz
Re: Seemingly Simple Sound Problem
November 03, 2006 12:58PM
Im not really sure what you mean, but I would do something like that in protools. Apply a sample rate conversion of .01% +/-
November 04, 2006 01:55AM
Hi,

If the files are BWF format, you can use my BWF2XML tool to attach an TC track to the file, which will tell FCP how to playback. You also may google for "Convert it" it's a set of scripts which will convert the sample description and TC, so FCP 5.1.2 will think it has to play the files slower.

Andreas
November 04, 2006 12:24PM
<<<FCP 5.1.2 will think it has to play the files slower. >>>

Excellent, although we don't have 5.1. Yes, that's it, exactly.

I miss dragging my finger on the reels......

Koz
November 04, 2006 06:35PM
Sorry Koz to mention 5.1.2 version of FCP in this context, but I got tons of emails these days about the BWAV timecode support of FCP 5.1.2, and so I automatically jumped onto that track.

You can use BWF with all versions of FCP and all versions of QT as long as they don't have more then two channels (in one file), more channels require QT 7 and FCP 5.x. Old versions of FCP and QT may require to change the file extension to 'wav'.
'Virtual' sample rate conversion does work with all versions, as same as forcing play rate into a required on by using the QT TC.

TC64 (audio timecode) only does work with FCP 5.1.2 (as long as you follow the rules) except for 29.97 DF, since only NDF timecodes for audio are supported.

And sorry I spoiled your "dragging my finger on the reels?" feeling

Andreas
November 04, 2006 07:35PM
That's OK. Really.

I can work backwards to the earlier versions as long as I know what I'm looking for.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics