BBC endorce FCP on Apple Site (and Buffy the Vampire Slayer discussion)

Posted by Phil UK 
BBC endorce FCP on Apple Site (and Buffy the Vampire Slayer discussion)
November 01, 2006 06:10AM
and very cool it is to...it makes me very happy..check it out..the BBC are very into FCP. Phil UK
Re: BBC endorce FCP on Apple Site
November 01, 2006 01:31PM
[www.apple.com]

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
November 01, 2006 02:11PM
Yep very cool - I had a conversation with head of desktop editing at BBC Woodlane when FCP was at version 3 and told him to "watch that one" (pointing at FCP3 on a Mac in the corner) - it's gonna change the face of TV editing...

They've been slowly moving to FCP over the last couple of years and Granada Television too are very large users of Final Cut Pro along with Xserve.

The last few TV series/documentaries I have worked on have used FCP throughout and is the official edit system of choice for almost all the next ones albeit from 1 documentary that has a partial edit on Avid Adrenaline...

As well as FCP offline, I'm FCP onlining: BBC3 Grime Scene Investigation, BBC1 When Love comes to Town & BBC1 Seaside Rescue.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 01, 2006 02:45PM
Can you guys stop sending us your Reality and Game shows?

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 01, 2006 02:55PM
Michael, Michael, Michael...

It's payback for years of "candid camera" and the "worlds funniest home videos" shows...

tongue sticking out smiley

Now where did I put that copy of "deal or no deal"?

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 01, 2006 03:53PM
"Kids do the funniest Things"... "My Aunts sisters next door neighbours cat does some mildly interesting things... occasionally"

The biggest problem is trying to persuade all these avid editors that stumble around on FCP for the first time is that "yes, really, honestly, thats all you have to do"... "yes no it really is that simple"
November 01, 2006 07:43PM
'Jerry Springer', 'Maury Povich', 'Cheaters'..

November 02, 2006 03:30AM
Wow Ben, you edited 'Seaside Rescue'??...unlike reality TV (the lowest common denomenator of this crass cult of celebrity program making where socialogically average people clog up the airwaves..Big Brother I cannot deal with and never have...) Seaside Rescue is a classic...what English TV is all about. Informative tales of bravery on the coasts of this fair isle.
November 02, 2006 10:18AM
Seaside Rescue is a classic...what English TV is all about. Informative tales of bravery on the coasts of this fair isle.

Yeah?! Well we have "Cops." Informative tales of.... well, informative tales. So there!

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 02, 2006 11:33AM
Hey..Cops is good and has been on a long time...but I look back to the golden age of US TV..I grew up on the Odd Couple (not the film) MASH..the first series before Alan Alda took over...so I feel that like the UK this reality thing won't go down in history as relevant like say Fawlty Towers or I Love Lucy if you catch my drift...like music TV has eaten itself..sad..thank god for My Name Is Earl and Gerry Seinfeld...the Simpsons..at least we still have our sense of humor.
November 02, 2006 12:42PM
Hey we got "The Office" out of them I'm not quite sure if it is as good as the one with Rickey Gervais the Brit version but it's pretty good.
November 02, 2006 01:33PM
I think Ben is right. Its payback time for the Brits after years of us sending them Baywatch and Brady Bunch for Masterpiece Theatre.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 02, 2006 05:14PM
Now I wouldn't say Baywatch was a bad thing...

Years ago in my single days on Saturday nights it gave me a head start when out "on the pull" as most of the competition (the eager watchers), stayed in to watch Yasmine run, Yasmine run! winking smiley

I like the US office, its not as embarrassing/cringeworthy as the British one for me, but I guess if it has the same effect on those of you with a US view on life then it will achieve the same result.

Changing the topic slightly...

I would have loved to work on the first season of "24" I have been addicted ever since! Season 5 DVD boxset should land on my doorstep in a couple of days. w00t!

If fact I would have loved to have worked on "Lost" as well...

or "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" winking smiley

Ben

November 02, 2006 07:47PM
Ahh Buffy. OK America. All is forgiven. smiling smiley

November 02, 2006 07:59PM
Jude and Ben are Buffy fans?

I was quite enamoured with the show. But then the strangest thing happened...Buffy became the worst character on her own show while the supporting characters -- all the way from Willow, Xander, Faith, Spike, Dawn, Giles, Anya, the Potentials, even Amy the Rat -- continued to delight and surprise to the very end.

A little 'Buffy lore' to brighten the day... |:}

www.derekmok.com
November 02, 2006 08:12PM
It's true there was a 'Happy Buffy season', 'Depressed Buffy season' thing going on. But that show consistently delivered. And pushed the boundaries - ref: the 'Hush' episode, for eg. Or the Musical.

And besides, I would have been a bit dissapointed if she bounced back too quickly from being torn out of eternal bliss to come back to Earth and get back to work. I was kind of glad they let her be sullen about it for a reasonable length of time.

Did I mention that geeks are cool? Geeks are still cool, right?

November 02, 2006 09:25PM
Yep they are still cool...

The FAQ is what gives editors their power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together. Use the FAQ, Luke!

LOL I like your new tag...

I prefer this though:

FAQ off and RTFM

November 02, 2006 09:28PM
I didn't mind "depressed Buffy" too much...that's Season 6. In fact, some of their best comic writing was during that season.

(Off Gnome statue on her lawn"
"What's that horrible little thing doing on my lawn? Was it Willow? 'Cause if I'd known she'd done that, I would've come out of the grave sooner."

"Amy. How've you been?"
"Rat. You?"
"Dead."
"Oh."

My problem was when the character became holier than thou.
"We don't kill humans, it's not the way."
And the way she talks to Faith in Seasons 3 and 7. Ugh.

And we love geeks! All the weirder villains (Faith, Mayor, Glory, Spike, Evil Willow) are far better than the trying-to-be-scary villains (Preacher Caleb, The Master, Evil Angel, The Initiative).

Okay, I'll shut up about Buffy Lore now.

www.derekmok.com
November 03, 2006 01:22AM
Well I can't wait to see Borat this week. I think he comes from the UK as well. Got to have some marmite and cheese on toast. Marmite you either love it or hate it!
November 03, 2006 02:12AM
Yeshamesh. I swear the foundations of the post production world are built on Marmite.

What time is it? Marmite O'Clock!!
November 03, 2006 02:29AM
>>FAQ off and RTFM<<

Heh. Nice one Ben. I certainly feel that way some days. Not lots of days, just some days. tongue sticking out smiley

Derek - I am so on the verge of falling into a mad fan black hole and hijacking this thread to rave about Buffy. Must ...resist... temptation ...

Doh. No. Can't do it.

I didn't mind the 'I'm depressed because I was dead' series. I didn't like the 'I'm depressed because my army boyfriend is a loser' series.

Couldn't even begin to think which was my favourite line. And so much kudos for building a story arc that spans eight series. And for making every picture beautiful. Cast, sets, lighting, camera angles, sfx. All at top quality, week after week after week.

Come back to us Joss!

Re: BBC endorse FCP on Apple Site
November 03, 2006 02:35AM
Boy, that "c" in "endorce" [sic] has been driving me crazy!

> I didn't like the 'I'm depressed because my army boyfriend is a loser' series.

You're tellin' me! What they ever saw in Marc "My Face Is a Loaf of White Bread and I'm All outta Jam" Blucas, I can't come close to fathoming.

www.derekmok.com
November 03, 2006 04:18AM
Just to add the debate...America has always made great TV series..even the old cheesy ones like Mr Ed, The Andy Griffith Show had their alure..In England we love American culture..end of story. But - England is pretty hot at the moment for comedy..look out for 'Peap Show' in the US. But reality TV? You want reality TV? Go the aimimage.com and check out Roadside USA, Terra Circa and Mondo Enduro..that will clarify somewhat the difference between Reality and "Reality TV" ...Ben and Jude - I hope you get the 24 gig..you'll be cutting in a mobile unit.
November 03, 2006 04:24AM
yes, very interesting to discuss about that BBC thing...

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
November 03, 2006 11:46AM
Francois

Are you subtley pointing out how OT we are being?

Anyway back to the slayer...

A few of my fave Buffy lines:

Giles: "Things involving the computer fill me with a childlike terror...
Now, if it were a nice ogre or some such, I'd be more in my element."

Xander: "You were looking at my neck."
Angel: "What?"
Xander: "You were checking out my neck, I saw that."
Angel: "No, I wasn't."
Xander: "Just keep your distance, pal."
Angel: "I wasn't looking at your neck."
Xander: "I told you to eat before we left."

Giles: "Testosterone is a great equalizer. It turns all men into morons."

Giles: "Yes, she's lovely... in a common, extremely well-proportioned way."

Buffy: "Speak English, not whatever they speak in, um..."
Giles: "England?"

Ahhh fond memories...

Grrrr arrrgh!

Ben

November 03, 2006 11:54AM
So who wants to Mod the new Buffy forum coming to lafcpug soon? Maybe that one will attract advertisers to this site.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 03, 2006 12:09PM
My significant other was a regular poster to one of the Buffy boards back in the day. She was/is a Big Fan. She met up with a few of them. I don't want to sound like a snob or anything but I will end up sounding like one so let me say this, there is such a thing has having too much time on your hands. Cured the SO from wanting to go to anymore of those meetings. Still a great show, especially after having to defend your choice from people who thought it was a "only" a kids show.

Oh and while I am being a snob, Koz, Hersheys ain't chocolate.( see [www.lafcpug.org] for reference)

yours in misanthropy and trolling for flame
ak

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
November 03, 2006 12:18PM
Mike are we starting a fcptube.
i have something to send/upload. and its even not controversial, or evil 8-}

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 03, 2006 12:33PM
We have a show and tel forum. It's a lot of fun and just getting started.

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: Face it - it's a Buffy thread now.
November 03, 2006 08:53PM
I'd volunteer for Buffy Modding. Hell - I was seriously considering doing an honours thesis on Buffy, specifically examining the 'forbidden sexuality' connotations of the vampirism, and Buffy's love/hate relationship with it. Your'e a ... vampire? Uh.. not that there's anything wrong with that..

>>defend your choice from people who thought it was a "only" a kids show<<

You know, more often than not, I've found that the people I most worry about thinking I'm some sort of freak for liking a 'kids show' immediately jump in with how much they like and respect the show. Ref : this entire thread the moment the B word came out. smiling smiley

AK - you're right. There is such a thing as going too far. I think that might be personality based though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics