Workflow question

Posted by MikeDerk 
Workflow question
March 25, 2006 04:35PM
I have a possibly complex question:

I would like to tweak a video clip to give it a certain look, and right now I can only achieve the look in photoshop.

The big question is: how can I export frames, tweak them, and then bring them back in?

My idea is to export a targa sequence, adjust each image in photoshop (which will be as easy as applying a premade filter), and then... well, what?

Is there any way I can import a bunch of seperate targa files and have FCP assemble them in the timeline for me? A quick internet search said something about using QTPro to do this, but here I have to admit my failings: I don't have QTPro and have never worked with targa sequences, so this may not even be the best route to go.

I'm going to go play around with Motion to see if that has the tools I want, but I don't think it will.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike
Re: Workflow question
March 26, 2006 09:27AM
you should have QTPro if you have FCP.
maybe you haven't entered the numbers yet?

but you dont need QTPro.
you just go to your FCP user preferences / Editing Tab, and set your "Still Freeze Duration" to 1 frame
then import the tweaked stills.
you can cut them into a sequence.
you can work with it as a nest, but apparently performance isn't too good.
export as a self contained file, and re-import
that'll give you better performance.

i remember reading an article, probably back in OS9 days, about using Premiere to do this sort of thing.
from Premiere you could export a "Film Strip" (or something like that)
that would open in PS with every frame on a different layer in a single PS document.
cool
cant do that from FCP sad smiley
(yet!)

nick

March 26, 2006 03:43PM
I'll try what you recommended, but now I have an ever dumber question... how will I know if I have QTPro? Maybe I do have it, but I didn't realize it came bundled with FCP (I have Studio).
March 26, 2006 04:18PM
you probably DO have it then.

you'd really know if you DIDN'T have it.
when you look in the menus of QT player (non pro)
you see heaps of features greyed out, with a big, word "Pro" next to them,
taunting and teasing you.

open a file in QT.
look under the file menu.
if you can "Export", or more germane, "Open Image Sequence" you have Pro.

nick

March 26, 2006 07:43PM
There is cheap-o-scope [www.lamarchefamily.net]. Free Adobe filmstrip generator.

Oh - I just went and checked to see if the link was still live and apparently it doesn't work in quicktime 7 yet, but it might be useful for others with this problem not using QT7.
March 26, 2006 08:54PM
that's cool, jude.

hope they can fix the QT7 problems soon.

nick

March 27, 2006 11:34AM
Mike -
Do you have After Effects? Because any filter you create in Photoshop should be able to be used (or have an equivalent) in AE.

- Matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics