slow speed

Posted by Tony19 
slow speed
March 26, 2006 06:38PM
I need to slow a number of my clips down to 70% speed, but I notice when I do this the image is degraded quite a bit. What am I doing wrong here?
Re: slow speed
March 26, 2006 06:48PM

Unless you're shooting on a Varicam or an HVX200 (each has a true variable frame rate), you're slo-mo isn't going to look so great.
March 26, 2006 06:54PM
oooo, that's disappointing. ok, back to the drawing board without that idea.
March 26, 2006 07:35PM
Hmm, if you're talking about substantial degrading of picture quality, that seems abnormal to me. Check your render settings.
March 26, 2006 07:42PM
What should I check under Render?
March 27, 2006 12:26AM

Seleect clip then:
Go to sequence/render all/video

I am guessing that at this stage you have a green line above your "slowed down" footage.
That means its not fully rendered and its only showing in low res.
March 27, 2006 07:18AM
intersting point. So guys, if i were to slow motion my footage (taken with a Sony HC1E camera), my picture quality would suck a little right?
March 27, 2006 07:51AM

Most of the slow motion I see with Final Cut (and Avid) looks a little soft. To get slow motion, Final Cut needs to stick in extra frames of video. Unless you shoot with a variable frame rate (only available on film cameras, the Varicam or the HVX200), you're not going to get the beautiful slow motion we're accustomed to seeing in feature films or music videos.

That said, I've also seen some pretty good slow motion using Final Cut ? when there's a minimum of movement in the video.
March 27, 2006 08:04AM
For my money this is the only area where Avid is better than FCP. Avid's fluid motion slo-mo is very nice. I'd love to see a better slo mo in FCP.
March 27, 2006 06:41PM
I agree, slo mo is very nice on the Avid. Of course the render is a b!#%$.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics