Wire Removal

Posted by DVDP 
Wire Removal
December 09, 2006 11:06PM
Hi Folks--

I have a little short I am working on and there is a small amount of "wirework" which I now need to deal with. I have not done this type of work in the past. There is only a few seconds of it and would like to use this project as a way to learn.

Anyone recommend a tutorial or two? On-line of otherwise.

Thanks,

Mike
Re: Wire Removal
December 10, 2006 12:00AM
Gonna have to use Shake or After Effects for this. And I am not aware of a tutorial...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 10, 2006 01:07AM
A few seconds, say 60 frames you could do in Photoshop. Export the video as frames, pull them into Photoshop and go to town with your cloning tool, or in dire emergencies, actual painting. It's not rocket surgery. Take a small piece of video right next to the wire with your cloning tool and paste it over the wire. Most times that's enough to hide it and nobody can tell what you did. Next frame.

You may need QuickTime Pro to import the frames back into the movie.

Koz
December 10, 2006 07:51AM
Koz suggested
Take a small piece of video right next to the wire with your cloning tool and paste it over the wire.

CHV makes a clone tool that will do this within a clip, without having to do a frame-by-frame in Photoshop. See it here. It's available in the LAFCPUG store at a discount.

Scott
December 10, 2006 09:03AM
I've used the CHV clone tool and frankly, it's amazing..someone wanted to remove a logo from an interview subject's shirt.......worked beautifully. you can keyframe it move around...etc....highly recommended. Andy
December 10, 2006 10:41AM
The Boris FX also has a wire removal tool

[www.borisfx.com]

Although I've not used it so can't comment on the ease of use/quality

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 10, 2006 08:25PM

A few seconds, say 60 frames you could do in Photoshop.

I would NOT do this in Photoshop (it's really not that easy - especially if your shot is moving). If you bring your clip into PS as a filmstrip or a series of TIFFS and try to Clone Stamp you way through this and you are not REALLY GOOD at matching the Clone Stamp from frame to frame, you will get an ugly noticable animated Clone Stamp wiggle throughout your clip. It will look like you tried to hide something.

IMHO, you need to do one of two things:

1. Bring this into After Effects 7 Pro and use the Clone Tool in there (pretty advanced)
2. Bring this into After Effects 7 Pro (which comes with the CyCore Plugins free on the install disc), you can use a little known plug-in that is flippin' AMAZING called CC Simple Wire Removal.

QUICK TUT:

* Apply the CC Simple Wire Removal to your layer in the timeline
(Menu Bar/Effect/Keying/CC Simple Wire Removal)
* Set your "Point A" crosshair at one end of the wire
* Set your "Point B" crosshair at the other end of the wire
* Set the "Removal Style" to "Displace"
* Tweak the Thickness / Slope / Mirror Blend until your wire is gone

You may have to keyframe your crosshair points if the wires are moving. If it's a lockdown shot with still wires, it's a piece of cake. You can apply this plug-in as many times to a single layer as wires you have in the shot.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need more help with it grinning smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 11, 2006 12:07PM
I would use Shake for this.

Very easy

Derek
December 11, 2006 04:22PM
<<<I would use Shake for this. >>>

So would I, however normal people are much more likely to have Photoshop lying around than any of the packages mentioned. To enhance yourself with the other packages could cause you to write a $400 check. You can be awfully careful in Photoshop for $400--especially for one shot.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics