FCP Universal Q...

Posted by mrshow555 
FCP Universal Q...
December 14, 2006 05:27PM
I have a Macbook Pro with the new Intel chip, but I'm still running my old PowerPC version of FCP and it seems to work fine. So why should I switch to the Univeral upgrade? What are the major problems encountered from using the wrong one?
Re: FCP Universal Q...
December 14, 2006 05:44PM
The old version will not work on your MacBook Pro. It requires the 5.1 upgrade. That is the major issue facing you. And it would be best to install it on both machines, so that they have exactly the same version so that you can share project files on both.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 14, 2006 06:32PM
I'm curently running FCP 5.0.4 and it works fine on my Macbook Pro. So I'm confused as to what the new version has to offer or why i need to get it now?
December 14, 2006 06:35PM
The upgrade will work TONS faster. 3-4 times faster. Plus FCP 5.1.2 offers support for 24p HDV, an enchanced Media Manager and better Panasonic P2 workflow.

Mainly speed and Media Manager fixes.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 14, 2006 06:37PM
So is it a whole new install or an upgrade? Like do I have to uninstall th eold one and re-install the Universal one from scratch? I assume it's a full program install since all the coding should be different...?
December 14, 2006 06:45PM
It is an upgrade. But I'd suggest doing a full install on the MacBook.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 14, 2006 07:42PM
So if it's only an upgrade where do you get the full version? To you have to re-buy it or is it included when you do the $50 upgrade?
December 14, 2006 08:14PM
That is the full version. Every purchased upgrade is a full version. This isn't a .01 upgrade, it is a full purchase upgrade. Like 4.0 to 5.0. If you want it cheap, buy it now. If you wait too long, you will have to shell out between $699 and $1199 for the full version.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2006 09:22AM
If you're going from 5.0.4 to 5.1, it's actually considered a "crossgrade" and the $49 really covers cost for S&H. You should do it quickly, I believe the special pricing ends 12/20.

Here's the link: [www.apple.com]
December 21, 2006 01:34AM
This morning I tried to buy the FCP Studio crossgrade (5.0.4 > 5.1 Universal) by phone, trying to beat the 12/20 deadline for the $49 upgrade. But the Apple rep told me I must download the purchase form and snail mail it along with my FCP 5 discs. He told me not to worry because the deadline for that offer had been extended. The deadline is now March 19, 2007.
December 21, 2006 11:21AM
Sure enough, the order forms online now say March 19. A little Christmastime panic averted.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics