Autosave Question...

Posted by simirocks 
Autosave Question...
March 28, 2006 05:23PM
Hi Guys,

So I'ma working editor running FCP 5 on a G4 Dual and I'm having problems with auto save. Even though I have set it up in my preferences to save every 10 minutes - it's saving every 20 minutes. I can't figure it out...Any ideas what might be happening? Th ereality is...I can get a LOT done in 20 minutes.

2nd quick question - client has asked me to work off the project on the media firewire drive...Every time I do that it crashes. It makes more sense to me to keep the project file on your desktop and back-up at the end of the day...Yes?

Any input is appreciated...

Mike
Re: Autosave Question...
March 28, 2006 09:16PM
> It makes more sense to me to keep the project file on your desktop and
> back-up at the end of the day...Yes?

As long as you make sure there's an updated copy of the project file on the FireWire drive that's NOT named the same as your current copy on your computer's internal drive. Normally that's not an issue, but your client seems to want to ensure that all files associated with the project is on one drive -- reasonable in my view. But the crashes suggest there's either something wrong with the drive or something wrong with the system. Was the FireWire drive formatted properly? How much free space is there on the drive? How big is the project file, and is there any unusual media in the project?
March 28, 2006 11:03PM
Michael, use the link to the thread to reply. That way others in the forum can give advice as well.

> The drive is a bit full (340 out of 400 gigs)

That is getting close to the danger point but not quite there. However, the 2GB file-size upper limit means your drive is either formatted for PCs or Mac OS Standard. Any file larger than 2GB gets split up into one master file and however many reference files necessary to store all the data. Click on the drive's icon in Finder and press APPLE-I to look at its formatting -- it's probably PC-Macintosh Exchange. You probably need to wipe the media off, reformat the drive in Mac OS Extended (Not Journaled), and recapture.
March 29, 2006 10:25PM
On a similar note, I had an incident today with autosave. My preferences are set to save every 20 minutes. FCP crashed around 5:30 checked the autosave and the most current file was from 4:00. What happened?

My drives aren't full. Projects are on internal drive, but not the system drive. Autosave vault is in another internal that is not the system drive. Project size is around 100MB.

Any ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics