making digital video look more like film

Posted by Alex Frey 
making digital video look more like film
March 30, 2006 02:21PM
hello all,
I am currently editing a short film for school, all shot in 16 mm. Except for one exterior night shot that turned out underexposed, which we reshot in digital due to time limit. I was wondering if anyone could throw out a combination of filters I could use to make that clip look more like film. Thanks
Re: making digital video look more like film
March 30, 2006 02:33PM

Do a quick search on this forum and you'll find a ton of suggestions, including buying a set of film-look filters by Graeme Nattress. You might start by de-interlacing the video, changing the gamma and making it 24 frames per second -- all things you can do with the Nattress filters. Here's the link:

[www.nattress.com]
March 30, 2006 03:48PM
Thanks Thomas! I think my filters would really help you integrate your video with your 16mm. There's a free demo, and if you need help, arrange to send me a video and 16mm clip and I'll help you with the settings.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
March 30, 2006 03:58PM
This might help me learn how to shoot digital video to later process as film look -- how did you shoot the digital video, what settings and with what camera? Thanks!
March 30, 2006 07:13PM
I just started using Magic Bullet Suite 2.1 (After Effects Plug-in NOT the FCP version) and it is AMAZING. Just the Deartifacting plug-in alone is worth it's weight in gold to smooth out those nasty jaggy compression color artifacts (choppy reds & blues - DV film makers need this). The Look Suite has 66 built-in film looks and "Misfire", the best collection of film damage plug-ins I have ever seen. You can also convert ftg to 24p. The plugs allow you to use the GPU to speed renders. PERFECT film look tool...love it.

FREE Demo:

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

I hear graeme's is OK too winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 30, 2006 07:20PM
Fixing chroma sampling errors is cool. It's good to do and can really make a difference. Film Effects does that also.

Graeme

March 30, 2006 11:23PM
hey Graeme, I was wondering do you give discounts to students?
March 31, 2006 07:05AM
One cheap price for everyone. Remember I programmed the software, primarily because I thought I could do "better" than the competition, but also because the competition was too blinkin expensive.

Graeme

$100 for Nattress Film Effects is the best deal I have ever found for what it does.
I will second this. These very comprehensive, well wrought, wisely packaged effects, the clear, well-written guide and the personal customer support make this the best 100 bucks with which you'll ever part in this curious business.

March 31, 2006 03:06PM
do you have the same type of filters magic bullet would have? because Magic Bullet is a little pricy for me so if I could do similar stuff with your program I would love to purchase it
March 31, 2006 03:09PM
Similar and more. I think better too. Try the demo and see.

Graeme

April 02, 2006 01:04AM
Better? That's the programmer's opinion. Maybe more than the FCP Editor's version, but not the Suite 2.1. for After Effects. As a Designer having Demoed nattress & Magic Bullet Suite 2.1, I bought Magic Bullet Suite 2.1 (After Effects). The rendering is much faster (on a Dual Core machine) and I have much more control over every parameter. I use it everyday and it smokes on my Quad. If you're interested to see it used on a title proof, here's a quick first rough element from a trailer-type project I'm working on (1.3 MB):

[www.digidojo.net]

Plug-ins used:
Magic Bullet / Misfire Complete.ffx / Shine / Displacement Map / Tinderbox Lens Blur

That's just the first word in a 3 minute project I started yesterday incorporating text, stills & footage in many different formats from Hi8 up the chain. I can't wait to get my hands on the stills & footage and really put Magic Bullet Suite through it's paces smiling smiley

- Joey

Post Edited (04-01-06 23:13)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics