FCP won't open a particular project

Posted by UnderG 
FCP won't open a particular project
February 22, 2007 01:24PM
I am trying to open a project file off of an external LA Cie d2 drive my editor gave me. It gets to 22% then the screen fades and a message box appears that says I must restart my computer. I have tried many things but it always stops at 22%. I have dragged the project off of the drive and tried to open it form the desktop which doesn't work either.
She has sent me a few individual sequences from that project file that open fine. Of course the project file was opening fine on her computer.
She is on FCP 5.04 and has 2GB of RAM.
I am on FCP 5.1.3 and have 1.5GB of RAM.
Any ideas?
Re: FCP won't open a particular project
February 22, 2007 01:31PM
That's a kernel panic. Pretty scary. Not only is the drive at risk, but also your entire computer.

Before you do anything, I'd get a new non-Lacie drive that's large enough so that you can backup any useful files from your system disk. Backup the files from the Lacie as well. Once your computer is covered, then look at the Lacie. Is it filled to the brim? No drive should be filled up to beyond 90 per cent of its capacity.

Also, try moving the project to your internal drive, then dismount, power down and disconnect the Lacie. Yes, with the media on it. Now open the project file from your internal drive and see if it goes through.

www.derekmok.com
February 22, 2007 02:04PM
The La Cie Drive is only about half way full. The odd thing is the dirve was working on my editor's computer just fine.
I am going what you suggest-- opening the project from my internal drive with the La Cie disconnected. My question is if getting that error is somehow damaging my computer. In the process of trying to isolate the problem and opening that project it has happened several times. I just want to make sure I'm not causing more problems while trying to solve this one.
Thanks.
February 22, 2007 04:24PM
FCP 5.13 may be having problems with 3rd party plugins.

ask your friend if she has used any in the show.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics