P2 footage 2fps problem

Posted by Alex Hanawalt 
P2 footage 2fps problem
April 12, 2007 08:51PM
I have some test footage shot with the HVX in 720pN24. I imported about 10 clips we shot using the PCMIA slot in my powerbook with no problems using FCP 5.1.4, and then backed up the P2 card into a separate folder.

All of the clips play back fine except for 1, which imports into FCP at 2fps.

The others all play back properly at 24fps, but this one clip just steps through... In the import window, the clip plays just fine, like all the others. When I import, the light blue "Media Map" button designates the clip as "partially imported."

The file size still indicates a clip containing the data necesary to play back at 24fps, so I'm guessing the data's there when it imports, but the file is just tagged wrong. Does anybody know anything about this?

We start shooting a feature with this setup in 10 days, so I'm a little nervous now...
Re: P2 footage 2fps problem
April 13, 2007 08:01AM
I don't think I could answer your question. I am sure someone in the forum CAN, but in the meantime you may want to post your issue at Dvxuser.com There is a FCP forum there too under "NLE's for Editing.. Vegas, FCP, Premier, Avid".

-Tessa

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison
April 13, 2007 12:38PM
A correction: The file that FCP is creating in the Capture Scratch folder is NOT as big as it should be - so FCP is scrapping all but 2 frames from each second of footage. The file on the P2 card is as big as it should be, and, as stated, plays back at full 24p.

Still haven't found a solution for this.
April 13, 2007 03:00PM
Sorry...I know you are waiting for me to answer this one, but I haven't a clue.

Does it play fine in the camera? I think there is a REPAIR function...try that.

Otherwise...color me stumped.

(what is that...blueish?)

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 13, 2007 03:41PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
> Otherwise...color me stumped.
>
> (what is that...blueish?)

I'm going to have to go with a bark-brown...or perhaps a beige if it's a birch-tree stump?

;P

deb
April 13, 2007 03:46PM
I tried the demo of "P2 Log Pro" and it looks like exporting to xml and opening back up in FCP worked... so, I'll probably buy a copy and hope that works in the future.
April 13, 2007 04:46PM
Hmmm. You don't look blueish.
April 13, 2007 08:59PM
It might be useful to us in the future if you could do some tests on this errant nasty while you've got it. Out of curiosity, what happens if you delete (or move) the original messed up file and try re-importing it? Same problem?

April 13, 2007 09:46PM
I tested it just about every way I could - I did try creating new projects and re-importing from the P2 on several different computers - I tried every sort of timecode and cinema tools conversion I could - I even popped open the xml on the P2 in MS Word and went down line by line comparing to the xml for a clip that was behaving, and couldn't find the issue.

I think this falls under the category of P2 behaving erratically with FCP... Even though Apple says things problems are fixed now.
April 14, 2007 02:13AM
And was it just that one file that had the problem? Was there anything different about when or where or how it was shot compared to the other clips?
It would be interesting to hear if the next batch of 10 clips gets one wierdo in it, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics