cine film effect filters?

Posted by Nick the Gringo 

I am trying to make a film into the style of an old colour cine film. I have adjusted the speed to give it that slightly too fast effect but am having trouble achieving the grainy feel and the slightly off colour scheme's that you have with those old cine film recorders. Sound doesn't come into it, just visuals. Any ideas please?
Re: cine film effect filters?
April 07, 2006 06:33AM
Graeme Natress Film look filters...look no further...they simply are the buisiness when it comes to what U want...Phil in the UK
April 07, 2006 07:36AM
nattress' are the BEST film effects in the world for the money! there are some comparable (magic bullet and cinelook) but they are 4x to 8x the price (or more).

riverrockstudios.com also makes one for half the price of the nattress suite, but its nowhere near as good.
April 07, 2006 12:16PM
I'll fourth that sentiment. Nattress filters AND the support are the best.
April 07, 2006 01:30PM

Cheers guys. Unfortunately I have no money to buy beer let alone software at the moment so does anyone have any nifty ideas of how to get something approaching the effect I need with the filters that come with the basic package?
deinterlace and play with levels/color correction. adding grain never hurts but im not sure if there is a built in grain effect in FCP
April 07, 2006 07:30PM
If I remember correctly there were some scratch/grain/distressing effects included in iMovie. I think....
April 08, 2006 06:35AM
If you play with the colour (desaturate slightly), add a bit of guassian blur and then do a self contained quicktime export, you can add filters. Add some dust and scratches here.

The effect is nowhere near as good as Nattress', but it can be toned down enough to help with the simulation.

So - select your colour corrected clip, and then go File > export > Using quicktime conversion > format - quicktime movie > options > filter > special effects > film noise > pull all the options down low so they aren't too cheesy.

Actually - I just went and checked this workflow, and I realised there is also the option to change the colour there as well - faded film or faded 1930s, etc.

There is also grain in the generator menu - render > particle noise with a good blur on it often works well.
April 08, 2006 08:07AM

Cheers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics