video camera choices

Posted by dom 
dom
video camera choices
April 11, 2006 09:14AM
Hi guys,
anyone know if there's anything bad about the new sony HDV camcorders in particular the HVRA1p which also has a DVCAM mode as well as mini dv and HD modes.

Are they that much better than a regular 3CCD?

thanks
Re: video camera choices
April 11, 2006 11:27AM
NO. especially since there is not a HD DVD delivery standard yet.

unless you are planning to go to film (IMO) there is NO reason to use HDV and about 20 reasons NOT TO.
Re: HD camera comparison chart in DV Magazine
April 11, 2006 06:03PM
The current issue of DV magazine (as well as their online version) has a whole comparison of the HD cameras - with a flowchart. They did a side by side test...

Marla
April 11, 2006 10:46PM
you know, i read that test and i dont recall them doing any motion shooting which is my BIGGEST problem with the HDV format...
April 12, 2006 03:38AM
The camera you're talking about is a cmos sensor model. Look at the pricing. Sony has them priced below their 3CCD's. That should tell you a lot. None of the manufacturers currently make the claim that the cmos sensors are better than 3 chip.
April 12, 2006 10:32AM
I only read the article IN the magazine - but it said there was much more detailed information in the online version - don't know about camera movement but you may want to check it out...
April 12, 2006 06:46PM
The panasonic HDV is much better and it does progressive scan.
And Canon is bringing one out that is a hell of a lot better than the Panasonic one. (If its not already out)

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 12, 2006 06:56PM
Panasonic does not make an HDV camera. They only use DVCPRO HD.

All the best,

Tom
April 12, 2006 07:07PM
Well that is true.

If you want to get picky.

however...

[www.promediazone.com]

its basically the same format.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 12, 2006 11:27PM
Sorry, I'm not being picky. It isn't even remotely the same format. It's the same format that's used in Varicam. HDV records on miniDV tape and is compressed to the same 3.6MB/sec. P2 records on cards at a much higher data rata dependent on the frame size and frame rate. Unless the HVX200's shooting DV, then it records on tape, but it's HD format does not record to tape and is a completely separate format, proprietary to Panasonic.

All the best,

Tom
April 12, 2006 11:40PM
Tom.

**** you're right.
My mistake
I did not realise that it was not HDV.

If it is DVC PRO then its definately a hell of a lot better than Sony HDV which further illustrates the point of getting the Panasonic as opposed to the Sony.

I'm now confused about the Canon camera though.

Anyone here tried it?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics