macbook pro

Posted by sapce 
macbook pro
April 11, 2006 11:05AM
Is it true that he final cut application is having problems running on the new intel platform of the macbook pro?
Re: macbook pro
April 11, 2006 11:11AM
You really need to order the Universal Binaries version to run on the MacBook Pro.
April 11, 2006 11:15AM
Not from what I've heard. 5.1 seems to be running most excellently.

All the best,

Tom
DH
April 11, 2006 12:07PM
Hi all.

Sapce, in addition to the wisdom provided by the others, Apple is currently running a promotion where you can upgrade to the Universal version of Final Cut Studio at a ridiculously low rate.

Here is the URL:

[www.apple.com]

I believe I read somewhere on lafcpug.org that Apple has started shipping the Universal Final Cut Studio suite, so act now.

-DH
Anonymous User
April 11, 2006 12:55PM
Apple has also announced an instant $300.00 rebate if you buy FCS and a new Intel Mac at same time. Course its a good deal only if you dont own a copy of FCS.

[www.apple.com]

April 11, 2006 02:18PM
The Mac Book Pro has had other problems though, including high heat, fan noise and screen issues. Apple is aware of these and hopefully the latest models have corrected some of the issues.

[www.tuaw.com]

Also, you may be thinking of the Intel Mac Mini which does NOT run FCS at all.

[www.macfixit.com]

JK
April 11, 2006 02:34PM
Tom, that 5.1 version is the universal upgrade or the final cut normal version,

thanks for the info,

sapce
April 11, 2006 02:59PM
5.1 is the universal upgrade. There is no more "normal" FCP upgrade. That's gone forever. At least for this quarter.

All the best,

Tom
April 11, 2006 03:02PM
The MacMini will run all the FCS applications except Motion.

All the best,

Tom
April 11, 2006 03:13PM
Interesting. Apple has been pretty vague about what the "minimum reqs" are, most of us assumed that meant none of the apps would run at all. Makes sense though that Motion would be off the table with the Minis graohics card. I stand corrected.
April 11, 2006 03:14PM
From what I've been able to determine so far, FCP (Universal) WILL run on a dual core Mini.... (I've only had a half-hour with it, playing around with HDV footage, no problems found yet.) More info as soon as I get time.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
April 11, 2006 03:23PM
...And I just loaded and exported the "Basic White NTSC" template (I've never done anything with Motion before.) and it played the template in the ap, then exported the Quicktime file just fine.... So it appears even Motion will work, too.

Post Edited (04-11-06 13:27)

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
April 11, 2006 03:28PM
You'll probably hit a wall pretty quickly in Motion the way the MacMini creates VRAM. I think it sucks the regular RAM or takes a chunk of it to do video processing. Something like that.

All the best,

Tom
April 11, 2006 04:01PM
Interestingly, not only does the MacBook run Final Cut 5.1 well, it's better at it than my dual 2.0 G5!!

[www.creativemac.com]

So much for the Altivec acceleration beating Intel at rendering tasks. I'm definitely unloading my G5 before the Intel towers come out, or this this sucker will nosedive in value.

Post Edited (04-11-06 14:02)
Re: macbook pro/FW800
April 11, 2006 06:01PM
I just heard - and maybe y'all already are in the know - that apple will be coming out with a card to slot into the side of the macbook pro 15" that will have a FW800 connection! It is, apparently, going to be the first one they'll put out, though of course they wouldn't tell me the date...

Marla-in-NY
April 11, 2006 06:15PM
Where did you hear that? Apple never made a cardbus before, and I'd heard they were abandoning FW800 as it had so little main stream support.

All the best,

Tom
Anonymous User
April 11, 2006 06:36PM
According to Barefeats someone is making a card to support FW800 that will work on the Macbook Pro. Supposed to be out in 30-60 days.

April 11, 2006 08:29PM
Would it be possible, due to the new card bus structure, to attach a camera to the 400 port and capture to a drive attached via 800? G-RAID Pro, perhaps? I have a new MBP and am concerned at the lack of FW ports.
April 11, 2006 10:28PM
That setup was possible on the previous Powerbooks, and yes you need a separate FW 800 PC card. If you're working in HD or Uncompressed off a G-Raid then wait for that new card to come out. But for DV, we've been able to daisy chain a FW drive and a camera/deck off the single FW400 port on a 1.6ghz Powerbook with no capturing problems (YMMV).
April 12, 2006 10:31AM
I heard it from an apple sales guy on the phone, and he said it would be the first card out, and soon, but wouldn't say exactly how soon....

Marla
April 12, 2006 07:42PM
Hey...just got my new MacBook and installed FCP 5. Apple store said it would not run. It DOES run BUT SLOOOOOWLY. I get drop frame warnings I used to get w/FCP 2 on my 500 mhz G4! But am waiting for my X-grade discs. Hopefully it will run fast then. Anyone found MacBook 4X faster?
Anonymous User
April 12, 2006 07:57PM
We demoed regular ol' FCP 5.0.4 on an Macbook last lafcpug meeting and it ran great. Not supposed too but it did. Played 10801 back just fine. Didn't test the heck out of it but it work quite well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics